soil pipe bedding and back fill

Tony, aren't you glad you found this site. (Also well done to Hugh)

Andy

Hi Andy, yes i am very happy i found this site, i'd be in real trouble without it, and Hugh, can't bodge stuff like this, i must admit, i'm totally naive in every aspect of this type of work, i'm probably frustrating Hugh, i do get shocked when he still replies, hahaha, only thing i am good at with this is, digging, i don't mind it, i just want to get it right, the reason i ask questions in detail, leaving me to my own devices is not a good thing, unless you need a mobile phone unlocked. i do appreciate this site and all help i get, it's a very good site.

Sponsored Links
Tony, aren't you glad you found this site. (Also well done to Hugh)

Andy

Hi Andy, yes i am very happy i found this site, i'd be in real trouble without it, and Hugh, can't bodge stuff like this, i must admit, i'm totally naive in every aspect of this type of work, i'm probably frustrating Hugh, i do get shocked when he still replies, hahaha, only thing i am good at with this is, digging, i don't mind it, i just want to get it right, the reason i ask questions in detail, leaving me to my own devices is not a good thing, unless you need a mobile phone unlocked. i do appreciate this site and all help i get, it's a very good site.

No, afraid not. You'll have a hell of a mess (and stink) very quickly!

Take out what you have, you'll need to dig down and get that rest bend on the same level as the existing clay pipe, so the plastic comes off the clayware at the same level, along and then into the rest bend. Then come up from there vertically to ground level, fit a coupling, a soil access pipe, then go up with your new soil pipe.

If you still want the gulley, that can be connected using a junction to the horizontal underground section, then use your bends as required to join the gulley to the junction. If still stuck, I'll do you a sketch.

Sponsored Links
No, afraid not. You'll have a hell of a mess (and stink) very quickly!

Take out what you have, you'll need to dig down and get that rest bend on the same level as the existing clay pipe, so the plastic comes off the clayware at the same level, along and then into the rest bend. Then come up from there vertically to ground level, fit a coupling, a soil access pipe, then go up with your new soil pipe.

If you still want the gulley, that can be connected using a junction to the horizontal underground section, then use your bends as required to join the gulley to the junction. If still stuck, I'll do you a sketch.

Ok Hugh, i think i know what you mean, take it all out, get the underground pipe in the picture on the same incline as the existing clay pipe, couple it up with the rubber coupling, run it along to the rest bend, then go vertical to access rodable fitting, that's without a gulley, if you can do a sketch with a Gulley, that would really help. thank you

This is a rough guide as to what you need to do, (not to scale obviously).
Tony M Drain002.jpg

This is a rough guide as to what you need to do, (not to scale obviously). View attachment 191933

Thank you Hugh,
This is a rough guide as to what you need to do, (not to scale obviously). View attachment 191933

Thanks Hugh, legend, that's easy to understand, can i ask if that's a Y branch? if so which one? and the connector to the Gulley? is that a 45? and as my Gulley has inlet and outlet, i'd have to block one off? if i did this way... ?? also, can i ask, can i connect a 45 at the first join of the caly? to put the underground pipe on an angle, or does i have to be straight, i'll know more tomorrow, when i rip it all out.. thanks

Y or 90 branch, it doesn't matter which you use, drawing is just a guide to layout. If you use a 45 junction then you'll probably need 45 for the gulley, (think you've already got those so makes sense). Yes, Block the unused spigot on the gully with a cap, bit of a daft design that, dont know where you got it from, might be better to swap it for one of these type. https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-d515-underground-bottle-gully-square-lid/6244k

Ideally you want the underground run to be straight, if you need a 45 coming off the clay, I would seriously look at putting a chamber in, it may save you from a whole world of pain at a later date if the worst happens and it blocks up.

That's for the rainwater? Soil pipe must have a direct connection to the drain, (not via that gulley.)

That's where the bath waste comes out, it goes into the hopper at the top, then down into the gulley, can i ask, i can use a slight angle on the fitting from the clay to the plastic? or use one of these to get the angle i need https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-adjustable-bend-0-90-110mm/14451?tc=BT1 as the clay pipe heads towards the back door step, it maybe different once it's laid, and when it's cut, not sure i will get the angle, also if i did decide to use a inspection chamber, can i leave it underground? just put a lid on it? or does it have to have a riser to the top, and any idea the best place to cut the clay pipe? should i cut it right at the end? furthest back Gulp, and what can i use to slightly chamfer the inside of the clay thanks Hugh

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_095746.jpg
    IMG_20200510_095746.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
A bend up to 45° you may get away with, but if not fitting a chamber, you must fit an access point on the vertical stack immediately above ground level.

You will need a disc cutter to cut the clay, cut at any suitable point but leave yourself a good 4" stub in order to get your coupling on to go the plastic. Use the side of the disc to chamfer the pipe.

Chamber, you will need to fit risers as required then a cover at ground level, whole point is to give you access to the drain should it ever block. (Anyone flushing wet wipes down the toilet/a woman in the house and you will/may soon get issues...

Hi Hugh, thanks, i have a roddable access that's going above ground, i''l rip it out today, mock it up and put photos up for advice thanks

Hi, i have new complication ffs, just starting to dismantle the Gulley and the pipe goes nowhere?? seems there must be a pipe under the pipe arghhhh. so what do i do now??..why is this pipe cut off? is it cut off... unless it's the trap????
IMG_20200511_112520.jpg

Last edited:
Photo from further back showing whole area may help. Water must have been going somewhere, is the surrounding soil sodden?

Thanks Hugh for the quick reply, really appreciate it, would it be a trap?? here two pics i took, thanks
4 (1).jpg
4 (2).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back