soil pipe bedding and back fill

Sponsored Links
Not unusual for old pipes to leak, but if it wasn't connected to anything, Id expect the surrounding ground to be wet, you haven't pulled bits of broken pipe out digging?

Not unusual for old pipes to leak, but if it wasn't connected to anything, Id expect the surrounding ground to be wet, you haven't pulled bits of broken pipe out digging?

No haven't pulled any broken bits of pipe out in this hole, the other hole there one piece of a half of pipe, no other bits, so just assuming they left in there and it was of broken pipe they didn't lay, some parts are a little sodden, but on the whole, not, do you think this is the trap of the gulley, should i keep digging down? or can i cut the pipe in the picture and lift the whole thing out?? i haven't a clue??. thanks Hugh looks like this bit was never used ???
5.jpg

Last edited:
That's a spigot end, (or piece of one), which would have been inserted into the collar of the next pipe. Joint was then made by inserting a tarred rope, and filling the joint with a strong mortar mix. Possible both mortar and rope have eroded over the years and joint simply has fallen apart.

Carefully cut the pipe somewhere around the mark, and then you can left the gulley out and get rid. Put your clay to plastic adaptor on the cut end, then see what you've got. May need a very slow bend to get you right for the rest bend, we'll see.
Tony Drain 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's a spigot end, (or piece of one), which would have been inserted into the collar of the next pipe. Joint was then made by inserting a tarred rope, and filling the joint with a strong mortar mix. Possible both mortar and rope have eroded over the years and joint simply has fallen apart.

Carefully cut the pipe somewhere around the mark, and then you can left the gulley out and get rid. Put your clay to plastic adaptor on the cut end, then see what you've got. May need a very slow bend to get you right for the rest bend, we'll see. View attachment 192068

Thanks Hugh, fantastic, i'll cut that now, and then let you know....many thanks

Hi Hugh, the first piece of pipe you said come off had cracks in it, i noticed this after i cut it, but it wasn't through the cut, they were already there, so i pulled the pipe, and it broke away, taking a piece out the final chamfered part you can see in the picture, the rubber flexiseal covers that broken part, but worried about snagging, and the other picture you can see where i am at the moment withy it all, that Gulley was set in a block concrete haha thanks Hugh

That's all ok, remove that debris from the pipe though, you dont want that getting washed into the drains. May need a very slow bend coming off the junction, might be better swapping that junction for one with a spigot outlet,
45 junction SS.jpg

then a single socket slow bend,
15deg bend..jpg
into the coupling to the clay. Keeps it all tight and in place.

Hi Hugh, That's great news, i'm finally on the right path, and all through your help Hugh, thanks, i was going to stick a tiny bit of pipe in the end of the i have got, can i not do this? or just buy one of those you put up, and do you have any idea of what that slow bend is?? like for e.g, you can get a 87.5 fitting, i have typed in slow bend, but can see anything that looks like that slight angle, my only other concern is, the setup you can see, needs to be raised to get the runoff gradient, trouble is then, the end that will will going to the waste roddable access, leans forward slightly. thanks Hugh

Screwfix links are working for some reason, item numbers are, 15° bend - 69177 (as in your link above), and junction - 22348. Junction is same as you've already got, only the outlet is a spigot, which can go straight into the socket on the bend. Spigot on the other end of the bend can go straight into the coupling on the clay.

It avoids having to cut and chamfer short pieces of plastic pipe to join the fittings, and given you're tight for room, allow you to get everything in place much more easily.

Screwfix links are working for some reason, item numbers are, 15° bend - 69177 (as in your link above), and junction - 22348. Junction is same as you've already got, only the outlet is a spigot, which can go straight into the socket on the bend. Spigot on the other end of the bend can go straight into the coupling on the clay.

It avoids having to cut and chamfer short pieces of plastic pipe to join the fittings, and given you're tight for room, allow you to get everything in place much more easily.

Thanks Hugh, legend, I'll grab the parts tomorrow, appreciate all your help.

I just pray this all works for you when it's done Tony!

O NO!! don't say that please Hugh, i worry like feck as it is, i was hoping that it's the perfect solution, i don't know how the neighbor connected his? but he's through the very same pipe as this, but think by looking at where and how much he dug up, he just connected exactly where you told me to connect, he didn't even dig to the side of where i am, i don't know, i mean, how long does it take for a blockage to occur ??? the weather nice, so could leave it open and test run it for a while....???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back