Soil pipe connection for toilet too far out from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently got rid of an old cast iron soil pipe and had my wall rendered. I left a length of 110mm plastic soil pipe coming out of the wall (see pic 1) so that I could connect the tee branch directly onto it after rendering. Problem is that I've now come to fit the push fit tee branch and when it is pushed right up to the wall it is still no where near (see pic 2). In other words the whole soil pipe is miles out from the wall and looks pretty daft. Looking at all the neighbours houses, the connections look like they all go into the wall, is this because they are using solvent connections, which are a bit less clumpy around the collar and have set the fitting into the wall? And is that my only way of getting the soil pipe up against the wall? Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Steve

View media item 76419 View media item 76417 View media item 76418

Sponsored Links
I suspect that a solvent weld joint will still poke out a similar amount (slightly less but still too much). I would neatly remove the render and enlarge the hole around the pipe to allow the joint to sit within the wall. Then refill with sealant to allow movement. Mark with a pen and use a small bolster or old wood chisel and club hammer - you should be able to get a good finish.

I agree with the above.

But be cautious when chipping out the brickwork to allow for collar space.
Use a small thin, and preferably sharp or new, cold chisel, and gently tap away tiny bits of brickwork.

Your soil pipe clip centres determine the stand-off centres for the tee and pipe.

If you are dropping straight down, then first drop a plumb line from the centre of the hole in the wall and fix a couple of clips ready for the pipe.

Before finally making good you must test the fitted WC to make sure that no leaking is taking place in the wall, or behind the excellent render job.

The knuckle part of most pipe fittings has to be let into the wall, whether that be 32mm, 40mm or 110mm pipe fittings.

Whilst I admire your foresight I sympathise with the fact you were a tad inexperienced.

You will need to do a bit of chopping I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
As Ree says, find your position for the soil pipe from the wall using a clip or 2. Solvent welded fittings dont require as large a hole as the push fit type, but mistakes are expensive. Once the joint is made it wont be coming apart again. Get it wrong and you'll be starting again.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back