Soil Pipe Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to detach the toilet and sink pipes from this soil pipe (they won't be added back later I just want a straight soil pipe remaining). I have caps so I can cap off the branches on the existing fitting but they won't budge, they are glued together.

IMG_0167.jpeg

I could probably get a straight cut with a fine saw rested on the top of the fitting and just cut through the soil pipe and then join it back together with a coupler?

coupler.PNG

Sponsored Links
What makes you think they are glued together ? The black soil pipe / branches etc are all ring seal ?

This part comes away easily but the hole is 200mm in circumference (approx 63mm diam) whereas my cap ends are normal pipe sizes like 110mm, 40mm, 32mm etc.

IMG_0356.JPG

I'm probably just googling for the wrong thing. Is their a specific name for the cap end that fits into these soil pipe fittings?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Best option I'd think would be to cut the soil pipe slightly above the junction, in 2 places and remove a short section of about 6" (150mm) from the pipe. Then cut through the bend, (You are taking that out too I assume?), this will free up the junction. If you carefully twist and pull gently, it should start to come apart, but be careful you're not pulling it apart underground instead!

That should leave you with a socket at ground level, and a gap in the soil pipe. To make good, cut a piece of 110mm pipe to suit the remaining gap, fit a Slip coupling to the top end, insert bottom end in the existing socket at ground level, then slide the slip coupling back up to make the top joint.

Best option I'd think would be to cut the soil pipe slightly above the junction, in 2 places and remove a short section of about 6" (150mm) from the pipe. Then cut through the bend, (You are taking that out too I assume?), this will free up the junction. If you carefully twist and pull gently, it should start to come apart, but be careful you're not pulling it apart underground instead!

That should leave you with a socket at ground level, and a gap in the soil pipe. To make good, cut a piece of 110mm pipe to suit the remaining gap, fit a Slip coupling to the top end, insert bottom end in the existing socket at ground level, then slide the slip coupling back up to make the top joint.

I've been nervous to damage it, if I break something I can't fix I'll probably stink the village out because the soil pipe is connected to the septic tank. I ordered cap ends in various sizes from ebay so I'll wait for those then see what dismantles, some of the push fits are glued together with sealant. As long as some of it comes apart one of the cap ends will fit.

If not I'll cut out a section and join back together with a 110mm coupler. I won't need extra 110mm pipe, the soil pipe isn't very long and will slide down into the coupler.

IMG_0168.jpeg

You need a piece of 50mm ABS pipe and some solvent weld. Either that or a solvent weld boss adapter to 40mm then a piece of pipe with a stop/blank on the end of it.

I sawed off the pipes and fitted caps. The front one needs redoing but it'll do for now, it's separate from the wall that's being demolished so that's the main thing.

DSCN0257.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back