Soil pipe fittings for new layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on suitable fittings for the setup in this little ensuite.

The current toilet (cistern pictured) will be removed along with the soilpipe up to the point of the t-piece (circled red). The pipe coming through the wall is from the toilet in the main bathroom so will remain.

So question 1: can I just cap off the t-piece or do I need to replace it with a bend?

Secondly, the proposed position for the new toilet is where the sink currently is, so question 2: Would I be able to fit a t-piece on the blue circled section for the new toilet, or is this not suitable?

Sponsored Links
question 1: can I just cap off the t-piece or do I need to replace it with a bend?
Capping should be fine.

question 2: Would I be able to fit a t-piece on the blue circled section for the new toilet, or is this not suitable?
I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't function and be acceptable.

Best to use a swept tee though, like one of these:

branchesdoublesocketwithout.gif

Getting into place will be fun. ;)

Change the swept tee from the current w/c for a bend otherwise the sweep will be facing away from the flow (or you turn it around & cap it) & you could end up with lodged “Richards” :cry: ; a new bend is only a fiver or so from B&Q; much cheaper than any of the “big 3” local merchants but if you feel really tight, use the tee for your new connection which should be OK once you sort out the odd looking number of fittings that seem to be lurking there.

3 questions though;
Why are there 2 soil pipes, what’s the top one for?
Where does the soil pipe from the existing loo go when it dives through the wall?
What else does soil pipe serve where it dives off to the left?

Change the swept tee from the current w/c for a bend otherwise the sweep will be facing away from the flow (or you turn it around & cap it) & you could end up with lodged “Richards”
So you think that the existing tee is 'sweeping' towards the existing pan?

Why?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses everyone, in response to the questions, I'm not sure what the top soil pipe is for and I hadn't really thought much about it until now :?: The only thing I can think of is ventage for the downstairs loo?
The soil pipe for the existing loo just goes straight along towards the blue circle, the bit going through the wall is the pan connector for the loo in the main bathroom.
Where the pipe goes off to the left is the soil stack.

Change the swept tee from the current w/c for a bend otherwise the sweep will be facing away from the flow (or you turn it around & cap it) & you could end up with lodged “Richards”
So you think that the existing tee is 'sweeping' towards the existing pan?

Why?
Shortly after I posted last night it suddenly occurred to me that I’d probably got the direction of flow wrong & checking the posts this morning confirms it :rolleyes: . In spite of it being well explained, I thought the stack was off to the right; sorry for any confusion. :oops:

So it would be OK to cap the tee but, personally & for the sake of neatness, & if it’s a push fitting I would replace it with a bend as I said before; you can always re-use the tee if it’s serviceable. ;) With 2 x w/c’s connected like that, you can have problems with pulling the water traps whe flushing, has this been a problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back