Soil pipe in old barn how to vent it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small outbuilding not conected to the main house, it had and old toilet plumed straight into the sewer, the old outbuilding was not a liveable building just and old barn. Am now converting the small barn into a liveable space and have been told I now need to vent the toilet and waste for sink.

I have a pipe connected to the sewer main coming up through the bathroom floor, now do I connect a stack to this with a tea piece conected to the toilet and the stack then going straight up into the roof space and out the roof or do I take the stack outside and up the side of the building. The barn is one floor only with no upstairs, I have good DIY skills but have not done anything like this before and need a bit of help please.

Sponsored Links
Can anybody help me, I need advise on what are the regs, and how to plumb in my stack to the soil waste and what kind of vent I would need.

PLEASE HELP ME

Who told you it needs to be vented? If there was a toilet there previously then there is unlikely to be any reason why a toilet cannot be refitted straight to the drain.

Are you connected to mains drainage? (i.e. not on a Septic Tank or Cesspit.)

Sponsored Links
Who told you it needs to be vented? If there was a toilet there previously then there is unlikely to be any reason why a toilet cannot be refitted straight to the drain.

Are you connected to mains drainage? (i.e. not on a Septic Tank or Cesspit.)
The building inspector has told me it needs to be vented now as before it was not a liveable space just an old outhouse. It's conected to the mains, I have a pipe that comes out of the ground in an elbow shape, I need advise on what I connect to this and how. Thanks for the help

are you sure the building inspector was talking about the drain ? or the space in which the toilet is ?
If its the drain the bend that connects the loo can become a tee and a pipe go to outside through the roof.
if its the space that needs ventilation then a fan and or window needs to go in.

What is the pipe you have made from? (Picture would be useful here if possible?) Good point there from Cider, any room housing a toilet needs some form of ventilation to comply with building regs. Either an openable window or an extraction fan.

Ground floor W.C.'s can be directly connected to the drain provided the distance between the top of the outlet from the pan and the bottom of the drain does not exceed 1.5m. It is unusual to fit a vent pipe on a ground floor W.C. (unless in a bungalow or there isn't another vent is nearby).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back