Soil Pipe Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My builder has just fitted a new waste pipe in the floor of our bathroom, the problem is when the toilet is pushed up against the wall the base of the toilet covers the waste pipe by about 2". The builder is claiming the pipe is in the correct place and that he cant cater for all toilets. The pipe is around 6" (150mm) from the wall.

Is the builder correct or trying to pull a fast one ?

Sponsored Links
I think I got what you mean, do you mean the bottom base of your toilet pan is sitting over the soil pipe by 2" ? A bigger pipe from the floor to overcome it ? A photo or drawing would help unless the others understand it better than me.

masona said:
I think I got what you mean, do you mean the bottom base of your toilet pan is sitting over the soil pipe by 2" ? A bigger pipe from the floor to overcome it ? A photo or drawing would help unless the others understand it better than me.

Toilet.gif

I hope this is clear enough - As you should be able to see, when the toilet is in position the waste pipe is obstructed !

The soil pipe is in the wrong position for the toilet, even a 90 degree slimline connector won't line up. How is the builder going to do this or is this the problem they're trying to get out of ?
The only way I can see at the moment is to build another wall behind the toilet to bring it forward to line up the soil pipe.
I'm not sure if all the toilet are standard size for soil position, have you check if they are toilet available to line up your soil pipe problem.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
How is the builder going to do this or is this the problem they're trying to get out of ?
The only way I can see at the moment is to build another wall behind the toilet to bring it forward to line up the soil pipe.

The builder is supposed to be supplying a soil pipe for a toilet and now that it appears to be in the wrong position he is refusing to move it claiming its in the correct position and its the toilet (which is a standard off the shelf new toilet) which is wrong.
Yes building up the wall behind the toilet was somthing I had also thought of, but I have just paid for the wall to re-plastered, so thats not an option I want to use.

Well, the toilet is in the correct position but the soil pipe isn't :!:
Do you know where the soil pipe go to ? If it's on the other side of the wall, the builder should be able to make a connection there which will need digging out.
If the builder is saying the soil pipe is in the correct position then ask them what toilet pan will line up with your soil pipe.

masona said:
Well, the toilet is in the correct position but the soil pipe isn't :!:
Do you know where the soil pipe go to ? If it's on the other side of the wall, the builder should be able to make a connection there which will need digging out.
If the builder is saying the soil pipe is in the correct position then ask them what toilet pan will line up with your soil pipe.

Thanks Masona, its nice to hear someone else say it !. The drains are on the otherside of the wall, He will just have to dig it out ... or not get paid for this bit of the job.

presumably when he priced the job he knew he was going to be connecting to the toilet. Not all toilets are the same, however this is even more reason for him to have found out the dimensions of the toilet beforehand.
If its a hollow floor then you may be able to achieve the difference by using adjustable offset bends, but you may need to go down some to get the angle right.

Thermo

How far from the wall is the pipe, normally I set mine at four and a half inches from the wall to the centre of a 100mm pipe for a close coupled pan In over 6 years i have only had one not fit and that was a posh italian job.

I always fit a soil pipe as close to the finished plaster of the wall as is practical behind the wc. That way, no matter what wc pan you get, it can be made to fit.

But this builder has put it in the wrong place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back