Soil Pipe shared by kitchen & bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to move a kitchen sink & install a dishwasher. Currently the waste pipe runs outside & joins the soil pipe from the toilet. This arrangement has never caused any problems, but instinct recoils me from any connection between where I wash my dishes & a toilet bowl, particularly if the connection from the dishwasher joins below the connection from the toilet. Is this okay, or am I just too squeamish for the realities of wet plumbing ?

Secondly... There is a seperate drain (literally just a 4"square hole in the ground) which is embedded in the concrete floor of the bathroom and which the bath drains directlly into. This can get a bit whiffy in the summer but I can't see any solution that doesn't involve digging up the floor.

There is no dedicated drain for the kitchen but the washing machine waste pipe currently drains into another open drain, which is used by the down pipe which runs past the kitchen window from the roof guttering. Is it acceptable preferable to use this for all the kitchen waste pipes rather than the soil pipe for the toilet ? :confused:

Any advice on either issue is welcome.

Thanks

Steve[/list][/list]

Sponsored Links
there r 2 types of underground drainage systems. combined when foul & rain water all go down the same into the main sewer. & seperate where only the foul go into the main sewer (foul being toilets,bath,basins shower ,sinks,washing machines,dishwashers.) & all rain water go to soakaways. u would need to check to find out if the washing machine is actually going to a soakaway.Requires lifting manholes etc. it is ok to run sinks etc it a soil pipe as long as they have a deepseal trap. preferably an anti-vac one at that,

Thanks Bab,
I'm pretty sure that this is a combined system, it's a Victorian building and we also have a river at the bottom of the garden, so the subject of storm drains has come up before. Nevertheless I'm reluctant to route everything via the downpipe drain as apart from looking untidy, it is prone to blocking with leaves. (Both the downpipe & the washing machine waste which is currently routed there end a couple of inches above the grate.)

My main concern was over the sanitary implications of connecting to the soil pipe... It is grey plastic with a screw top & sits about 3ft high. I'm hoping to re-use the current sink waste connection which is situated above where the loo connects. This hopefully will be quite simple. Where I see a problem is over the dishwasher drain which (if we are relying on gravity) would, possibly have to join below or at the same level as the loo connects. Is it just a case of cutting a new hole in the main soil pipe, glueing in a connection & making sure we have an adequate trap at the dishwasher end ?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back