Soil pipe too far from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed my old toilet to replace with a new one. The toilet was a u bend one and connected to the cast iron soil pipe which pops up above the floorboards, then goes vertically down 6 inches under th floorboards where it bends 90 degrees and travels horizontally for 2 feet before dropping down into the sewer.

The problem is that where it pops up above the floorboards is far too far from the wall for the new toilet and would result in a 8 inch gap behind the toilet.

Can I just attach a flexible connector from the new toilet to come back on itself about 6 inches to meet the soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
What you propose is just a good way to spend a lot of time clearing blockages.
Simple way build a boxing behind it to bring cistern forward.
Better way alter soil pipe tho to be truthful as its cast may be beyond diy capability (beyond some plumbers from what I've see!)

Reactions: CBW
Whilst you can probably do it, it wouldn’t be advisable. Is there no way of offsetting the connection?

what is the distance between the wall and the centre of the soil pipe?

there are WC pans made to fit such jobs.

Is the floor concrete?

some photos would be useful.

inside and out

include the nearby manhole cover

Sponsored Links
what is the distance between the wall and the centre of the soil pipe?

there are WC pans made to fit such jobs.

Is the floor concrete?

some photos would be useful.

inside and out

include the nearby manhole cover
27cm. I'd be happy to get a different toilet as I can use this elsewhere but even new u bends aren't that distance!

The attached is with the new toilet in position, as you can see the toilet would be absurdly far from the wall even with a box built behind. The soil pipe goes down the horizontally under the floorboards towards the top of the pic where the skirting board is then goes down into the main stack

Attachments

• IMG-20220621-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20220621-WA0016.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 225
I happen to have a Twyfords E100 bottom-outlet WC, very pleased with it, but it has a 215mm gap wall to centre of soil pipe

there are a few others of varying sizes.

pic...

the last sheet of drawings says 230mm, not sure if this is from a different version. It is from a file marked "square" and mine is the "round." different cistern shape I think.

E100WCCCPremiumE11248WHE12590WHjpg.jpg
IS_Tempo_Multiproduct_PrListDrw_GB_T3280;J5228;J5229;T6792;cc-bowl-vo.jpg
L-2015-3-2--10-9-9-458.jpg

Last edited:
this little pic explains difference between HO and BO pans.

2015-2-7--15-11-55-706-1.jpg

I also looked at Galeria and Alcona WCs, but have not kept the details

I think you want a BO pan

Last edited:
Imo get the correct part which "works" rather than having to "make it work"
Avoid unnecessary changes of direction.

I had the same issue so fitted p outlet pan with 90 degree connector and fitted cistern against a spacer frame with a piece of granite on top

Attachments

• F3D767AE-B53D-4EFE-BBB1-802E13A6FB8F.jpeg
    F3D767AE-B53D-4EFE-BBB1-802E13A6FB8F.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 368
The easiaest and best solution would be to move that soil pipe outlet, especially if you have a wooden floor and acccess wouldn't be that difficult.

The easiaest and best solution would be to move that soil pipe outlet, especially if you have a wooden floor and acccess wouldn't be that difficult.
Yes I was thinking this, rather than buy a toilet which may or may not be correct. I was thinking of cutting out the first 2 feet of pipe and replace it with pvc section connected with a coupling, then offset the Pvc section so that it gradually meets the wall. This way there are no additional bends than there were before. Attached is the pic with the proposed route.

Attachments

• 20220622_084027.jpg
    20220622_084027.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 241
Given the orientation of the floor boards, I would have expected the joists to run from right to left (as seen in the pic) rather than heading up, which look as if it would be then be through the joists?

Looks like old pipe could be running between two joists. If so could you shorten the existing run , fit a new socket closer to the wall and turn the toilet 90degrees ? thats if theres not enough room between the joists to offset it closer to the wall in its present location

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back