soil pipe vent stinks into house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been called round to a tenants house as she has been getting smells in the house recently on and off. The property has not so long ago had it rest bend fixed on the soil pipe. When I went round before the smell was upstairs, I opened the loft and could smell it more so when further over to the felt where the soil pipe vent in and it was a strong fould smell. I am assuming the smell is coming in from the 4 inch soil pipe that come out the roof but is not escaping away and entering through the felt and into the house. When dyno fixed the pipe could they have done anything like took a cap off and forgot to put back on or could something had gone on the pipe. It is a 50 year old house and has a cast iron pipe through the internal of the house ?

Dyno rod done a camera test from the top stack down if that helps .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Been advised that the cast iron pipe vent what goes through the roof might hav ea hole in somewhere from the ustrairs toilet to the roof letting smells into the loft area and the pipe should be cut at 2 floor level and put a AAV on. This is a big job is there anything else it could be before I get someone to carry oiut work ?

You DON`T want an AAV on it - an air test first - or a smoke test . I`d bet the leak is @ the bottom where the bend was put on - smells can travel for yards in ducting - like round the soil pipe . I once stunk out a 4 star hotel by using drain cleaner way down in a basement :eek: I investigated and found a redundant open basin waste connection - hidden in a boxing during the conversion from a house to hotel :mrgreen:

Just been round and got on up on the ladders and pulled lead from around vent and it has got a massive hole in where it has rusted. This is allowing the gases traveling up the pipe and into th loft. I have epossed the stack pipe in the bathroom on the second floor where the toilet is. Can I fit a air admittance valve here ? If so can you get them to fit cast or do you have to convert the cast to plastic with something like a ferco connection then fit the air admittance valve onto that ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get a push fit AAV, with the fins akin to a pan connector, but i'd be wary of capping a vent with an AAV, you may cause other problems....
I'd look at either repairing the cast, (Denso tape may be enough to seal a hole), or if it's badly corroded, (bear in mind its bloody heavy), then remove top section and replace in plastic to provide a vent.

For a temporary repair you can wrap Deso tape around the pipe work or fibre glass if not possible get all the way round with Denso. This is a temporary repair though.

Andy

You can get a push fit AAV, with the fins akin to a pan connector, but i'd be wary of capping a vent with an AAV, you may cause other problems....
I'd look at either repairing the cast, (Denso tape may be enough to seal a hole), or if it's badly corroded, (bear in mind its bloody heavy), then remove top section and replace in plastic to provide a vent.

What other problems cn this cause by using a AAV ? It is very badly corroded pipe is half gone. The reason I want to use a AAV is the pipe is boxed in tiles in toilet below so if I use a AAv I can just brake 2 tile high and get at pipe and bo in. If I replace the sectiin I will have to expose full pipe and have more work in bathroom.

AAV will allow air into the system if there is any negative pressure in the drain. However, it wont allow air (and smells!) out, any positive pressure in the system may find an exit elsewhere, i.e. through a trap in the W.C. or bath etc. :(

Currently any positive pressure will be released via the vent, you're effectively blocking it off using an AAV. Secondly a vent should always be provided at the head of the drain, (or elsewhere on the property).

You have an 'end' to the pipe where you plan to fit an AAV. Can you remove all the iron pipework above this point and replace with plastic?

AAV will allow air into the system if there is any negative pressure in the drain. However, it wont allow air (and smells!) out, any positive pressure in the system may find an exit elsewhere, i.e. through a trap in the W.C. or bath etc. :(

Currently any positive pressure will be released via the vent, you're effectively blocking it off using an AAV. Secondly a vent should always be provided at the head of the drain, (or elsewhere on the property).

You have an 'end' to the pipe where you plan to fit an AAV. Can you remove all the iron pipework above this point and replace with plastic?

The pipe what leads uo is all tiled in so it woulc me making alot more disrution replacing with plastic. The drain is a shared drain which had grids also running into it, wont th epostive pressure be able to vent through this ?

All you can really do is try it and see. AAV may be ok, if you start experiencing smells then may have to go back to the drawing board.

Depends what is supporting the cast.... Do not underestimate how heavy it is, you really do not want any amount of cast finding its way down under gravity! It will make a mess of whatever might be underneath it..... :eek:

If it is rotten then it would probably be wise to remove it for peace of mind. Secondly an open vent pipe could act as a funnel, where will any rainwater or snow finding its way in go?

Depends what is supporting the cast.... Do not underestimate how heavy it is, you really do not want any amount of cast finding its way down under gravity! It will make a mess of whatever might be underneath it..... :eek:

If it is rotten then it would probably be wise to remove it for peace of mind. Secondly an open vent pipe could act as a funnel, where will any rainwater or snow finding its way in go?

Thanks for help got the parts today, going to tackle it tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back