Soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I’m new and in need of some advice please.

We have lived in the house for over a year and every now and again we would notice a smell in the bathroom from the shower. We have a shared soil / waste water drain.

There was an air admittance valve fitted to our soil pipe which I don’t think is really needed. I think the joiner fitted as an easy way to close the vent without going above the eaves. So I removed it and since then we have had no smells in the bathroom!

I think I now need to extend the soil pipe to vent out above the eaves, away from a window that is close by but I am not sure how.

Any ideas?

See pic attached.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Attachments

• 89EC2B65-5576-47BF-BFD5-B2DD3BBFFA90.jpeg
    89EC2B65-5576-47BF-BFD5-B2DD3BBFFA90.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 95
  • B409CFD5-B66C-4789-A8D8-601A0C7F18B0.jpeg
    B409CFD5-B66C-4789-A8D8-601A0C7F18B0.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
You.could try a new externally approved AAV and see if that solves the issue as the old one may have become defective.

But, yes, a vent to atmosphere is required somewhere on your soil system.

In your situation, the best route would be to turn the pipe left to the internal corner and left again to go below the upstairs window and then upwards at the external corner of the house before offsetting it up and around the eaves with a vent cap on top.

Thanks for the reply. It will be a bit of an eyesore going to the left and left again. Would there be a problem if I go left and then up to the right of the window and over the eaves that way? Or could I go right andcto the far end ?

Sponsored Links
You need to be above window level. Or else you'll get wiffs blowing in. An eyesore would be obstructing the window and following the slope of the roof IMO. Maybe you could go right but the photos don't show that area! And you would still have a vent below the level of that top window. I can't see how it could be an eyesore if well installed.

Do you notice an odour issue with it currently terminating as is? If not, I's suggest using solvent weld fittings to prevent any movement, and dog leg it out and around the gutter, going away from the window as you do, then put as long a section as you dare on the end. Mine is in a similar position and no noticeable pong in the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back