Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I would like to replace a soil stack that goes up past the gutter (its a bungalow) with a short stack of about 1m high. I understand that this can be done with a special type of capping but could somebody please advise what would be needed.

Is this approach acceptable from a buildimg regualtions point of view?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
The capping you are referring to is an AAV (air admittance valve) and it only allows air in to the stack. Except for certain circumstances, you need an SVP (soil vent pipe) that allows air to also be breathed "out" of the stack and drainage network for your property.

Replace like for like, it's got an open vent for a reason. Fitting an AAV instead may contravene Building Regs and may cause you others issues with positive pressure blowbacks inside the property.

Had several instances when out drain cleaning, whereby toilets have been 'blown' following unauthorised alterations to vent stacks on properties.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. The problem is it is right next to the front door and looks odd. I can't move it because there is a window in the way.

D

You can reduce to 82mm plastic if that looks tidier. I suspect if you remove it and replace with an AAV, you'll be back on here within a few weeks complaining about a smell in the bathroom.

Drain odours. Open stack will vent any positive pressure out the drains. Capping it with an AAV wont, so any back pressure looks for the easiest way out, usually through a bath or shower trap.

You can reduce to 82mm plastic if that looks tidier. I suspect if you remove it and replace with an AAV, you'll be back on here within a few weeks complaining about a smell in the bathroom.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back