soil pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an old cottage which has an original WC outside the back door and a bathroom above. All bathroom outlets enter a single stack which then goes beneath floor and into drain from downstairs WC. There is an inspection cover at the rear of the house and close to it ,on the back wall is another soil pipe which connects to nothing. Both are unsightly is it possible to replace with the new air valves

Sponsored Links
The soil pipe near the inspection chamber which "connect to nothing" is probably a vent pie so not a good idea to remove it.

If you are also asking if you can remove the inspection cover then that's probably also a bad idea!

sorry if I wasn't clear.I realised they were there for a purpose but wondered if I could replace them with the new idea air valves I've heard about so they were less noticeable . I've no intention of removing the inspection cover.Thanks

I've just re-read original and realise it looks as though I said the inspection cover was unsightly, no its just the stink pipes

Sponsored Links
The lower vent could probably be disposed of and blocked off, but I would keep the other serving the upstairs bathroom. Odours can be vented at roof level from there, out of harms way. Blocking off all methods of ventilation may lead to you having more offensive issues elsewhere! ;)

Thanks for that ,sorry I didn't explain well originally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back