Soil removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm currently digging up my lawn about 30sqm to lay down hardcore then lay slaps on, now my question is say I'm digging down about 75mm would anybody know how much roughly soil I will have to dispose off, as trying to get a rough price and what service to use, do I got for skip do I go for hippo bag do I pay a man with a van any ideas??

Sponsored Links
75mm = 0.075m
so volume is 30 x 0.075 = 2.25 cubic metres.
Thats compacted, so your volume will be about 3.5 cubic metres.
Dont know the volume of hippo bag, guess its 1 cubic metre, so thats 4 you will need or 1 skip.
Hope my calcs are correct, if not I will soon be corrected.

Sponsored Links
I recently used a grab lorry service to take away about 9 tonnes of soil. This worked out cheaper than a skip for me ( I would have needed a big skip).

The volumetric area seemed to increase 3 fold after it was dug up and I wasn't sure before I started exactly how much would need to be removed.

It's worth phoning around as some grab lorrys have a fixed price of up to 8 tonnes, which might work out cheaper than a small skip, especially if you find you've excavated more than you planned. Just an idea.

Have always been suspicious of hippo bags, they look like in practice they will take a lot less than they claim. If you try to fill up a tonne builders bag with a shovel you never get as much in as you got out as the sides collapse. Suspect you need to be supporting the hippo bags by the loops while you are filling them in order to get the published volume in them.

Hey guys been looking at a 4yd skip but thinking maybe i will need a 6yd heres a pic of what I have so far and still have a lil bit more to dig.

IMG_0064.jpg

First rule of landscaping - you'll need a bigger skip than the one you order.

With that in mind, order a 4, then ring back and order a 6.

Then, wake up in a sweat in the night, and then phone them back at 8am to get an 8. :eek: :eek:

The largest Hippo bag is 1.5 cubic metres and will cost around £80-90 to buy and have collected. But you can only fill them 2/3rds full with soil or rubble so you'll need 4.

I know some skip companies aren't keen on taking skips that are full to the brim with soil and rubble, so order bigger than you need. Still cheaper than Hippo bags.

The easiest option is a grab lorry. Just make a pile and let them load it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back