soil stack inspection cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mines got a small leak, and is perished. when removed I am sure it will fall apart. any ideas where to get a replacement? house built late 1960's and outside diameter of pipe is 123mm. images attached......
thanks in advance....
S6304367.JPG
S6304366.JPG

Sponsored Links
Your camera seems to have focused on the iron pipe next to the pipe you're actually trying to photograph...

That pipe looks very much like pitch fibre to me. Unusual but not impossible to find it above ground, it will indeed be difficult to repair and might well fall apart if you try to take it off. Best way would be to carefully clean the pipe and fibreglass over it I think, or try to bodge some sealant round it, at least as a temporary measure. Longer term the whole lot is likely to need taking out and replacing - it's sometimes possible to cut and join it, but sometimes you can find it'll be soft once cut and you can't get a joiner to seal

thanks for reply. had a feeling, more and more as I look at it and can not seem to find even pipe that is the same diameter as this one, that the long term answer would be to replace it, all of it. just found the stain on the floor as ripped out the old kitchen, so lucky in a way new kitchen wasn't fitted first and then leak happened. a pain as its internal soil pipe.
thanks again

Yes, that is pitched fibre.

I'd be looking at replacing the stack outside if you can with a new rest bend connecting to the drain. Underground an AC4000 would connect plastic to pitch fibre or clay.

I heard pitched fibre has asbestos in it but not 100% sure.

Sponsored Links
have to assume it has asbestos in it. would be ideal for so many reasons to have it outside, but not an option........
thanks for reply Ian.
was just hoping to get the outside underground pipe cctv'd and if that was ok just source and replace cover. so many things I hate about the way this house was built......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back