Soil under floor space actually on the joists - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Flat (ground floor) its a converted ex shop, 75% of the floor is concrete and I have small areas of floorboards.

I started having a roller coaster flooring issue in my passageway, I initially thought this was just warped tounge and grove (covering the passageway), so I decided to lift the tounge and grove today, it seems the problem is actually a chipboard panel someone had fitted in the past in place of floorboards under the Tounge & Groove.
This chipboard panel had rotted and was swelling.
I have torn a section of the chipboard away and to my surprise the soil level below is about 3"-4" (yes inches) below the floorboards it looks as though even the joists are partly covered in soil.

Should I dig this deeper prior to fitting new floorboards?

If so to what depth?

Would I be right to assume whom ever layed the concrete floor has just shifted excess soil to another loaction under the floor?.

Or am I on the wrong track

Heeeelp!!! :)

Many thanks in advance

Kevin (Portsmouth)

Sponsored Links
You`re better off concreting these patches of wooden floor as they don`t have enough ventilation :cry: it`s bad enough when you have a whole front room wood and the back room concrete ( a common method from days of yore)...there is never enough ventilation provided...get a good builder in to dig out- concrete -apply damp membrane- screed- and reinstate skirting etc.

Nige F said:
You`re better off concreting these patches of wooden floor as they don`t have enough ventilation :cry: it`s bad enough when you have a whole front room wood and the back room concrete ( a common method from days of yore)...there is never enough ventilation provided...get a good builder in to dig out- concrete -apply damp membrane- screed- and reinstate skirting etc.

Trouble is getting a builder quick enough in Town (Portsmouth) in the summer, all very busy

Thanks

Kevin

ojnet said:
Trouble is getting a builder quick enough in Town (Portsmouth) in the summer, all very busy
Thanks
Kevin

It doesn't sound like a hard job as Nige F describes. Well within the reach of an ethusiastic and competent DIYer.

Sponsored Links
You may be opening up a can of worms trying to keep the wooden flooring, i would do as suggested and concrete the patches of timber floor. Unless the areas are huge.

Any sites around that would inform me how to?
I'm a keen DIY'er but concrete floor in a new one

Thanks

Kevin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back