Soil vent pipe shortening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi folks

Bit of a novice here. The grey waste pipe in the photo, is it OK to make it shorter, by about a foot? It's the waste pipe connected to the bathroom. Basically I'm wanting to put a gutter pipe from the black gutter into the brown gutter below (bad trader job and black gutter is spilling water everywhere, have been advised that having an extra downpipe into the brown gutter on the extension is best bet, it's a long story really). Problem is that the gap between the grey waste pipe and the side of the extension is too narrow. I'm thinking it could be shortened and put the angled bit out to the left rather than coming out the front. Probably not explaining myself very well here!

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Given the information in the last post by "muggles"

How about you cut the vertical section of pipe, in a position [say?] just about where the pipes fixing clip is?

At that point use a 90 degree bend, facing to the left [in the image] then a short length of pipe, leading to another 90 degree bend turning the pipe to the vertical again? [with me so far?? I hope so] then re-fit the existing bend to get the [new] vertical pipe past the gutter?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Looking at the fading on the soil pipe, I would advise cutting it with caution, (use a fine toothed saw), or you may risk it shattering/splitting, rather than cutting cleanly! As above though, 'dogleg' it with bends around the gutter, reducing the height will only risk unwanted odours inside the property!

Can’t you cut the grey pipe a turn it 90o clockwise. You should get a pipe through the gap then.

Move the hose reel and then 2 45's to shift it left to run closer to the extractor cowl.

As @Hugh Jaleak suggests go carefully to avoid the pipe cracking when cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back