Soil vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's a bit naughty and probably against all the building regs, but are there any real reasons why I can't use one of my gutter downpipes as a soil vent pipe? I know I shouldn't have connected this to my drains system in case of floods etc, but it only drains a small part of the roof. I ask as I want to avoid running an ugly grey 110mm pipe up the wall. I'm presuming that as long as I keep the downpipe clear of blockages, it will do the same thing as a soil vent pipe. Can anyone offer any wisdom on this one?

Cheers,

j

Sponsored Links
Gutter pipe as a soil pipe? :eek:
How are you going to connect the wc to it as they are different size pipes.
Also your gulley will fill up nicely with sh1t as there has to be a slow radius bend from horizontal to vertical drainage pipe.
Not a good idea at all :rolleyes:
Also you need to inform BCO of any new drainage work:cool:

probably didn't make it clear, I'm not suggesting using gutter pipe as sewage/drainage pipe. I have a mini access chamber with a gutter downpipe connected to it (as well as the household sewage drainage) and was wondering whether this could act as the vent, rather than me having to connect a dedicated 110mm soil vent pipe. The only thing coming down my gutter pipe will be a bit of rainwater. I ask as I don't really want to run an ugly grey 110mm pipe up the wall to vent the system if I can avoid it.

Cheers

Speak to your BCO at your local council.
I doubt whether they would allow as it is not to regs. :(
Incidentally you can drain your roof via a gulley if area drained is less than 40 square metres :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info on drainage areas. I connected up the pipework yesterday and rainwater is going down the drain, and (smelly) air is getting out. What is the reasoning behind venting a sewage system? Is the soil vent letting air out as well as in? I guess the old manhole covers let some air in, my swanky new mini access chambers have screwdown, sealed covers?

Cheers,

It's standard procedure, mate. There ain't much in drain pipes that hasn't been tried! Standard procedure that is in areas where drains are combined (soil and surface). BUt there's wrinkle. The getter pipe is OK as a vent but gutters get blocked where there's the ole in the gutter for the downpipe. SO you need the seemingly nonsense bit - take a tee off the downpipe just below the gutter, and take it above the gutter, vent pipe stylie, and put the all important balloon grating on the top so birdies don't make a nest on it.

The purpose of venting sewer pipes is to allow pressures out. Without doing that the traps in your fittings can either get pulled out so they stink, or gas bubbles can force their way up past the trap, equally smelly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back