Soil - waste Pipe... plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My soil pipe is cracked. Not good. At least I no know where the damp under my house is coming from! Anyway, the part that is cracked is where the soil pipe goes under ground. Its the collar thats gone on the pottery pipework and this crack has run down through the bend to where the pipe becomes horizontal and meets the main waste pipe. My house is 105 years old and I am sure the waste pipes are very old as well. There all of the old pottery type. I have 3 grids on the back of the house of which 1 isnt needed and 1 needs to be re-bedded in mortar.

My question is, while half of the old waste pipes are currently exposed (I had a big tree near them so wanted to check the pipe) should I replace it with plastic pipes and grids?

If so.. any safety gear and precautions needed?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wazz, I'd say you would be better getting a recommended time-served Plumber in to give you a quote, in fact try & get three quotes.

Sounds like you may have a few damaged drains and it's better to have them checked/repaired. First thing though; get that soil pipe collar repaired.

It would perhaps be wise to get all your drains inspected with a camera.
Again, phone round & get some quotes, as there's lots of cowboys in that game. So take care!!

thanks for the reply.

i know this may sound stubborn, but I havent paid anyone since I had my boiler installed to work on my house. The drains isnt hard is it... all the plastic stuff just pushes together.

just not sure whether to change it or not... cant get the pro's and con's in my head sorted

There would be little point in replacing just the exposed parts. That's called doing a half arsed job. You could replce what you can see in plastic and then have problems with the rest six months down the line. Either replace it all or don't bother in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I would be replacing 90% of it. The only part I wouldnt replace is the last two meters which goes under the nice driveway. I would change all the grids and pipes round my house. Is the plastic less prone to going wrong than the old stuff?

If you had already exposed the pipe to check it... would you change it, or just replace the bit which is broken and has to be changed?

ta

Would probably take the opportunity to replace it, sort of makes the excavations worthwhile - at least I'd know what's what then and make it easier to replace grids. You may be able (if you're very lucky) to insert pipe through the existing pipe running under the drive. and seal the end with mortar or a rubber coupling.

If you have it exposed may be a wise idea to renew it. Speak to Building Control at the council, they may want to inspect the work before you cover it in. Make sure any new pipework has correct fall on it, or you'll be digging it back up again to sort out blockages!

And don't forget you need to embed new pipework in peashingle.

Thanks guys. I might as well do it then I think.

is there a regulation on how close to the house it can go or is 30-40cm away ok?

Well, I checked the building regs and cant see a mention of it being an issue if its neer to the house, but.... The regs say that the pipe needs to have 30cm of fill above the pipe. Where my pipe run starts and goes by the kitchen step, its only around 5cm down. Thats not good. Any ideas?

Suppose all I can do is lower it and see if I can still get the 1:8 drop?

Tell you what... reading the regs helps a lot! :) www.planningportal.gov.uk is a good site!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back