Solar Control Glass Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping for some advice. We've got two south south west facing full hight loft windows. We're considering solar control glass as I know lofts have a habit of getting very hot and windows that size aren't going to help.

I was hoping someone could advise on cost. I don't know if this has an effect, but the windows need to be toughened and laminated. I'm being told that the solar glass will cost 3x the price of normal glass. Does that sound correct, as it seems quite steep to me?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of temp are you getting and what do you hope it will reduce it to? I'm currently fitting heaps of solar control 20 silver mirror film and it knocks about 2° off the room temp which is the widely accepted amount, from experience I can't see solar control glass being any better, fitted loads as a service engineer and it never made a noticable difference, as you say it'll have to be toughened out and lam in so theres a cost there, mirror film to the external will be a whole lot cheaper

What sort of temp are you getting and what do you hope it will reduce it to?
It's not built yet, so I don't know what the temps are likely to be, but we'd like the result to be tolerable heat.

The spec for the glass is this:
upload_2021-4-12_22-7-39.png

Sponsored Links
Hi Will, I think Solar control glass is well worth it, it makes a big difference. As for the cost, that can be a very difficult subject. I live in the South West and asked for several quotes for 4 sheets of SC glass to be fitted to a 2.7m x 2.6m conservatory. They were around the £5k area. That's £1250 per sheet of glass, ridiculous price. So imagine my surprise when I contact a glass manufacturer and am told £1341, and that's including the VAT. Now the other bits, rails etc will cost about £3-400. So that's £3259 labour for 1 days work. I think not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back