Anyone got solar control glass ? Pergola or Brise Soleil Instead ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are looking at some 4.8m sliders and 2.5m bi-folds in a south west facing garden and worried about overheating. Been looking at various solutions including pergolas and Brise Soleil to create shading. Did find on one site that for a Brise Soleil in south west elevation would need 0.7m * window height (2m) so 1.4m to create an adequate shield, we are probably more West than South West where recommended elevation is even bigger.

Keep coming back to solar control glass but really nervous that it will make everything look a bit dull when looking out.

As far as I can tell these three glasses are essentially the same but potentially made under license:

Saint Gobain SGG Bioclean Natura

Pilkington Activ SunShade Neutral

Glass Systems Ecoclean Sunshield Neutral with sun control

None of them have decent pictures although claim to be neutral but which reflecting approx 70 of solar reflection thus reducing solar gain also only lets in approx 40% of the light. The pilkington site mentions a slight grey appearance, all the ranges also do a blue, bronze or aqua type tint that want to avoid.

Anyone faced similar dilemma and plumped for solar control glass or haven't and wished they had ?

Be great to hear from anyone with one of the above products and get a feel for how it is looking out on both a sunny and a grey day.

Torn between just going clear triple glazed which reduces solar gain a bit over double I believe and dealing with the hot days and then enjoying clear glass for the rest of the time.

Likely to have internal roller blinds on wall inside but whilst these I think will cut the light out the heat will already be in.

Some of the pergola ideas seen images of look quite smart but not sure really want to go that route.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Sponsored Links
70% reflection is pretty severe.
I've got 20-25% silver reflective film on a south facing window and it's reasonably effective at cutting glare and the 'sitting in hot sun' effect; not sure about how much it controls solar heat gain generally.

The dullness looking out is most noticeable on sunny days; even on overcast days it doesn't make the room too dim though.

External blinds/shutters are another option for controlling sunlight, or even on the occasional really hot summer use greenhouse whitewash for a couple of weeks.

Also, solar gain is less of a problem if you can let the heat out. If it's a single storey room with roof lights which open, you can let the heat out. If it's a ground floor in a conventional house, the heat will probably go up the stairs and suffocate the bedrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back