Would you recommend a sail shade here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having the garden landscaped at the moment and as it faces south west, we get a lot of sun through the kitchen/patio doors...although not when this pic was taken:

DonCJ2j.jpg

While we have internal blinds, the heat gain/glare is still quite annoying so I'm looking at a number of options to shade the patio doors outside that might also make the patio comfortable for our kids on hot days. The kitchen window is less of an issue. The sliding doors are more of a problem even with solar-reflective glass.

I'm considering a sail shade I think we'll need 150x150mm timbers or 100mmx100mm steels sunk relatively deep (1:2 ratio above:below ground) to ensure we can put decent tension into the sail and avoid sagging. Getting a proper sail (i.e. not a £100 one from Amazon) along with the aforementioned hardware bumps this solution up in cost further.

Any guide on how best to spec this? Is there an alternative solution that you'd recommend instead?

I have 2x cantilever parasols but the weight (plastic, filled with water each year) now all leak, they take up quite a lot of floor space and sit too low to properly shade the doors so I'd prefer not to use them. Has anyone used a wall-mounted parasol? Any good?

Sponsored Links
venetian blinds would be a possible solution

as its a sliding door, if you have a pair of blinds you have more flexibility

you could of course have blinds internally to the double glazing but that will cost you around £1k id guess

venetian blinds would be a possible solution

as its a sliding door, if you have a pair of blinds you have more flexibility

you could of course have blinds internally to the double glazing but that will cost you around £1k id guess
Thanks for the reply, as explained in my post I already have internal blinds. I'm trying to add shade to the patio area whilst boosting the level of shade inside.

You could find a parasol type shade to attach to the wall and furl when not in use. Made in Germany, i think.

Sponsored Links
You could find a parasol type shade to attach to the wall and furl when not in use. Made in Germany, i think.
Yeah, I've seen these and I quite like them. If we can turn, angle it then I think it'll work really nicely. Will run it past the mrs to see what she thinks.

Yeah, I've seen these and I quite like them. If we can turn, angle it then I think it'll work really nicely. Will run it past the mrs to see what she thinks.
Going by the size of your patio i'd agree the parasol would give good shade - but Her decision is final, right?;)

What about a pergola with hanging planting?
Also a consideration. The first landscapers that came to quote on the job weren't convinced that the space worked especially well with a pergola due to the differing roof heights from the 2x extensions that have been added over the years (see pics in the first post).

I think it might work reasonably well provided the climbers didn't decimate the wooden structure of the pergola and cause it to rot.

I think it might work reasonably well provided the climbers didn't decimate the wooden structure of the pergola and cause it to rot.
When pergolas were mentioned, my thoughts went to something like this:

It may just work?

When pergolas were mentioned, my thoughts went to something like this:

It may just work?
The new patio is approx 7m wide x 4m deep so it'd fit, I just wonder if it'd look a bit **** next to the relatively low height of the flat roof?

I would think one just needs to be designed to work with the existing roof, a landscaper with some imagination perhaps.

Build a brick wall infront of window and doors! Lol

You don’t need anything like the steel you mentioned to support a sail, held mine up with small timber post and a couple of lines ,tent style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back