Solar panels - worthwhile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a friend who is asking me questions about this.

I know u have to pay up front about £10000, but get about £1000 back per year as you are paid money for using electricity that u generate by yourself, as well as supplying electricity u don't use to the national grid.

Anyone took the plunge?

Anything to tell us?

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is, dont fit them.

Put £9.5K of it in the new NS&I savings account at 9% interest and spend the other £500 on loft insulation, cavity wall and jumpers.

Sponsored Links
To add:

In addition, Rics had failed to take account of a number of other benefits – renewable obligations certificates worth £160 a year to householders from next year; reductions in energy consumption of up to 40 per cent for schemes with a meter; the rising payments from energy companies for spare electricity put back into the national grid; and the increased value of an energy-efficient home.

He estimated the current payback of power-generating PV panels was 13 years.

Alongside other energy saving measures ! But with our climate :confused:

worthwhile?

No. Wait ten years and they'll be free subsidised by the government. Money better spent elsewhere. Until someone invents invisible panels, they will continue to make your house look a shower of shyte.

will be for pensioners 65 and over :LOL: bring it on:cool:

Put £9.5K of it in the new NS&I savings account at 9% interest and spend the other £500 on loft insulation, cavity wall and jumpers.

If a guaranteed 9% in NS&I was that easy, we'd all be doing it. I think the best NS&I at present is RPI+0.5% (~5.5%)

worthwhile?

No. Wait ten years and they'll be free subsidised by the government. Money better spent elsewhere. Until someone invents invisible panels, they will continue to make your house look a shower of shyte.

Eon are fitting them to houses for free (well £100 booking fee ) ,to suitable houses .They will come out and do a survey to see if your property is suitable .

worthwhile?

Ooops double post !!

@njkmr

and how much financial benefit does the householder get from this..

and how much potential hassle .. ?

@njkmr

and how much financial benefit does the householder get from this..

and how much potential hassle .. ?

I think it was about 60% off your bill and you may be able to benefit by selling excess energy to the national grid .Dont quote me though on these figures .

PS Where in France are you ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back