Solar Panels - Not generating power??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we had solar panels installed yesterday on a Scheme that means we get them free, but any extra electricity generated and exported back into the grid we cannot claim back on ourselves.

They don't appear to be generating any electricity at the moment. The weather is rainy and very overcast but it is daylight but that is not being registered, at least it appears that way...

Is this normal?
Also our electricity meter is displaying rEd on the screen which after some rooting means "Reverse Energy Detected". Apparently this is normal and I have been onto British Gas about it, so it must be working....Not sure if it is normal to not be generating anything at the moment though.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
On a cloudy day you might get 50 watts or less, and less than 1kWh in a day. On a long summer day you might get 20kWh depending on size and orientation.

What does the instruction book say about your display? Doesn't the inverter show what it is doing?

Post some pics of your meters and inverter.

Sorry, I believe the inverter was installed in the loft at the other end, I cannot see it at all!

However, I have taken a picture of what is under the stairs as there are some new things under there too! See attached image.

Just incase it is not very visible I will try to explain as best as I can, bear in mind I have no idea about electrics!

For mains power it goes as follows: Comes in from the group to a 60AMP fuse > connects to Landis E110 Meter > Connects to Wylex box with 4 big red switches on it > Connects to Wylex main fuse box

For Solar: Roof connects to stuff in the loft > Cable down side of house to the area with the picture (very top) (this is where i am getting the readings from > Connects to Wylex Solar Isolator box > Connects to Wylex box with 4 big red switches on it > Connects to Wylex main fuse box.

The reading on the box shows the total generated power I believe, showing at 00000003 (or something simiar).
If I press the square yellow button it switches to tell me what I think is how much is currently being generated which is just showing at 0000000

Not been provided with any instructions, except for the inverter but that is just how to connect it to the supply etc.

Attachments

• 20151212_151035[1].jpg
    20151212_151035[1].jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 368
Have a look at the generation meter when the sun is shining.

Photograph it or write the figures in a diary, with a note of time of day and weather. You will learn the pattern.

You can put an Owl sensor on one of the fat wires coming from the big switch, and get an approximation of power generated, within a few hundred watts.

I am very unhappy to see that open enclosure near the floor with exposed live parts.

Sponsored Links
I'lll see what happens thanks!

That is our old burglar alarm, it stopped working about 6 months ago showing a fault and it would not turn off.... We are going to be getting the house extended soon so we plan to get a new one. There is a ringmain just for the alarm that has been isolated and the battery has been removed so there is no actual power running to it now.

Thanks again!

It would be good to get a look at the inverter, in case it is displaying an error.

We recently wired a small site of houses, all were fitted with solar pv by another company. Approximatly 50% of the solar systems don't work, and have not generated anything, even after 5 months. The inverters are all displaying errors on their LCD screens, mostly 'wrong panel voltage' or something similar, and the total generated meters are all at 00000.

Just be patient and wait for a bit of sunshine. Light levels are less than you think on these miserable cloudy days. My system had generated less than 400Whrs today

As the OP did not pay for the panels and will not get any benefit from them either, what difference does it make if they work or not?

Well, I assume he gets to use any electricity which he can, free of charge. At around 14p a unit that isn't bad. Just need to use power while the sun is shining. Or fit an immersun, or similar.

Even thought we did not pay for them we still benefit from them... The generated electricity is only put back into the grid if it is generating more than we are using.

Thanks!

with judicious use, the average solar installation means that on a day with several sunny hours, you can run your washing machine, dishwasher, and tumbledrier, for nothing, as long as only one of them is in the heating cycle at one time. You will get next to nothing in October to March, though.

The cost of heating water by gas is so low that there is not much point is running an immersion heater off solar, if you have a boiler.

Most people who signed up for the deals where the installer benefits from the feed in tariff, leaving the homeowner to consume free units, use immersun or similar controllers to electrically heat the immersion tank.

They do benefit the home owner, as long as the home owner is aware that every unit that is GENERATED benefits the installer, not just those EXPORTED.

looking at my summer Gas bill (used for heating water) I see that units used cost me £6.73 for the 31 days of July.

An Immersun costs £200 to £300 and would save me some, but not all of that, in the sunny months. It would take at least 7 years to save its cost.

If I was heating by electricity, not gas, then the benefit would be nearly four times as good, at this year's prices.

There are few cheaper than the immersun. Hence my "or similar". I mentioned immersun as it had already been spoke about.

The solar iboost is the most popular around here. A solar installer will be getting these dirt cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back