Solar Powered Domestic Hot Water Systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea where this should go:

is it plumbing? is it electrical? is it appliances?

Anyhoo....

Can anyone start me off on this topic as i am thinking of installing one

I am particularly concerned about amalgamating it with the combi boiler i have just had fitted, as most solar systems seem to require a hot water cylinder, which i no longer have.

Sponsored Links
from what i have read on here you are right the solar panel heats the water in the cylinder (via a 2nd coil) for use when ever, and since you dont have a cylinder..................

breezer said:
from what i have read on here you are right the solar panel heats the water in the cylinder (via a 2nd coil) for use when ever, and since you dont have a cylinder..................

A cylinder with coil can be used to pre-warm the cold feed to the combi.

Solar directly heats water in the tank, cold feed goes to combi via the coil.

Water pressure in the coil has to be carefully thought about as most coils are not designed for high pressure working.

right the correct sequence is as follows

1. check that your combi can accept solar pre heated water (ask manufacturer) if not you cannot do the following
2. find out if you can get a cold feed to you solar tank
3. bring solar water from cylinder down to near boiler
4. install two solar rated zone valves
5. take 1 pipe to cold feed to boiler and take 2nd pipe to hot water pipe after boiler
6. install 2 single check valves just before pipes join back together
7 control the zone valves off the solar controller so that when water is above 50 degrees the combi is bypassed.

Sponsored Links
All this to save around £120 / year. Just not worth it. Thats why I've stopped the solar side of my business. It's all overhyped by the media and politcians wanting a trendy 'soapbox' to spout from.

All these green issues are just another way of introducing more 'hidden' indirect taxation.

If you need proff then where is all the airline green passenger tax going and the 4x4 road tax?

Oh I forgot, its being given to you as a 50% grant to install solar :rolleyes:

IMHO

gas4you said:
Oh I forgot, its being given to you as a 50% grant to install solar :rolleyes:

I dont know where you get that idea from!

Its apparently just £400 but to be able to apply for it you have to pay £1800 as a professional installer. But then the £400s are used up in the first few minutes of each month!

Tony

I was being sarcastic Tony :rolleyes: I know full well the grants available as a BPEC qualified solar installer and registered with clear skies or whatever name they call it this week.

Just trying to point out what a farce all this 'green tax' is and it is not ending up where it is supposed to be.

WHEN our government gets seroius about energy resources then they will offer REAL grants as funded by the millions of air travellers and not just put £6 million in a pot as a limp wristed gesture.

Anyway, global warming, just the earths natural cycle if you ask me. A lot pf people are making a lot of money out of mis-information and scare mongering.

Rant over :evil:

Dave you wouldn't have stopped cos Valliant/Schott have pulled their tubes would you. ;)

lcgs said:
Dave you wouldn't have stopped cos Valliant/Schott have pulled their tubes would you. ;)

NO. I had decided to stop a few months before this was made known. Trouble is I am now getting pestered by other manufacturers reps after the Vaillant tubes fiasco.

Lost interest ages ago with all the info supplied to me when I was a provisional member of the solar trade association :cry:

Thanks for the replies.

Well i haven't got a green agenda on this issue. I'm just looking to save some cash.

Am i right in thinking i will definitely need to reinstate a cylinder to feed the combi? Cus if thats the case im really not going to bother.

Yes.

When I used to quote for solar the first I'd say to a customer was,'if you are doing this to save money then don't bother, if you are doing it for the environment and save a little bit of cash and are happy with this then go for it' ;)

ModernMaterials said:
Well i haven't got a green agenda on this issue. I'm just looking to save some cash.

How do you think you can save any cash when it has a -2% per annum cost to you?

Cost £3000 which is £180 lost interest in the building society all to save £100 on the gas bill???

Tony

ModernMaterials said:
Thanks for the replies.

Am i right in thinking i will definitely need to reinstate a cylinder to feed the combi? Cus if thats the case im really not going to bother.

"may" be compatible with your appliance,
check with the manufacturer.

http://www.alpha-nextgen.co.uk/gassaver.asp

Tim (The ARGI Baker)

ModernMaterials said:
I have no idea where this should go:

Best place for solar heating

jdo0597l.jpg

unless you do it yourself by putting a radiator into a glass topped box. The commercial ones are WAY to expensive, until the oil shortage arrives.

The latest design uses a 10 mm copper tube soldered on to the back of a copper sheet.

More expensive but much lighter to handle.

Reduces the cost to less than £200 per 8' x 4' panel and probably at least 80% as good as any professional one at £700 upwards!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back