Solar powered pool pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to run a pool pump off solar panels however not too clued up on what is actually required.

STA-RITE 5P1R
50Hz 230V
0.55kW 0.75HP 4.2A

What equipment would I require if I wanted to run this off solar panels?

Sponsored Links
It will only work in summer.

4.2A x 230v is almost 1kW. So you would need at least 4 panels in good sunlight, or 8 panels in more typical weather. Have you got a lot of money?

solar panels will need an inverter to run a 240v AC pump. I have an idea even a small 250Watt one is a couple of hundrd pounds.

Consider getting a less powerful low-voltage pump, and a solar car battery charger. This will also balance out the sunny/cloudy periods, with the battery buffering the loss of power every time a cloud passes over.

An old battery that will no longer start a car can be found as near-scrap, so quite cheap.

How big is your pool?
Are you simply trying to circulate the water through the filtration system or are you also looking to heat the water?
If you are looking to heat a large body of water, (e.g. swimming pool as opposed to a small paddling pool), a AHU, (air heat unit), is far more efficient than a simple electric heater. They can also realistically heat the water to higher temperatures at lower overall cost.

Water is heavy and takes a lot of energy/money to move it.

Sponsored Links
This is what 1kw of solar is going to be like:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172785546486

Then you've got the problem of starting the motor on load, which is going to need a lot more than the running current, so getting into batteries, or an oversized system etc.

There's a reason most solar powered stuff is ultra low powered wimpy stuff.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Pool holds 45k litres / 10k gallons.
Initially i am looking getting the pump working off Solar - under stand i may need to upgrade the pump for this.

Currently the pool is heated via a gas heated heat exchanger. I am aware that air source heat pumps is an option for heating - thats next on the things to look at :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back