Solar power.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this post should go here or in the garden section so apologies if its wrong.

Anyway,

I was thinking maybe it was possible to power my pond (pump and filter) via solar power.

What im trying to find out is what size panel i would need and if i would be able to use 100% solar power.

The pump is 230v 25W and the filter is 230v 5W (only for UV lamp).

Any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
how much do you suppose you will save?

how much do you think this will cost?

just off to find a page on t' internet for you

Ah well all those questions are the reason for the post.

I dont know what it would cost to run from my mains supply so i dont know how much ill save. when i searched for solar panels i kept being redirected to pages with panels that are like 1 Mw im assuming i dont need one that big......

Im just trying to get an idea of cost for comparison, if its to expensive to set up then ill go with the old fashioned electricity...

Give up now, stick with what you have, allow me to explain.

stuff you have:

25 watt mains pump
5 watt UV (and filter)

total 30 watts.

Stuff required:

30 watt solar panel (preferably bigger)

12v inverter
(turns 12v into mains, but it will need a few watts to do this, so you will need a bigger than 30w solar panel)

what i found

inverter £30.00

43 watt solar panel £250

Total cost £280

So you want to spend £280 so have a pump running via solar power.
How long before you get your money back?

Oh, and now the crunch :evil:

read the "blurb" about the panel, figures quoted do say average sunshine of 7 hours / day (lets be nice and say 8 hours)

how are you going to power it for the other 16 hours / day

Bearing in mind a filter and UV have to work 24/7 filters

also what are going to do when its rains, is overcast? the blurb did say optimum sunshine

stick with what you have and spend the £280 on some thing else

(i was typing this while you replied)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, great help.

The only reason i thought of it was because if i could do it, it would save having 30m of cable run and obviously eliminate the need for electrical work to be done in the house. As the problem is i have a very old CU and no space for a dedicated garden supply, not to mention the fact that whoever fitted it (before i bought house) added a shower to the cooker supply....... Plus i thought solar panels were cheaper than that. (silly me)

Very valid points you have made tho, deffinatly better using electricity.

So the next question is can i have a new CU fitted without re-wiring the house (if so is it expensive?) and is 1.5m SWA enough for the pump and filter and possibly a few 12v garden lights?

Thanks again for the replies.

Yes you can , but it also depends on the condition of the existing cabling.

best get a periodic Inspection report done

oh and yes, but 2.5 would be better (depending on actual run length)

cost, best not ask

View media item 2443

i dont know what the existing cable is like so i would need to get it checked. i didnt know there was such a thing as a periodic inspection report but judging by the other diy disasters (non electric) we have unearthed im guessing this is going to be a very costly job.

especially as where the current cu is, i wouldnt be able to fit a new 1 so im sure i would need it relocated along with the electric meter.

Dont you love it when these things come to light after you have spent and arm and leg getting the house.....

If you really wanted to go solar then it would make more sense for you to get a low voltage pump and filter. This eliminates the need for the inverter, and will make the whole setup a lot more efficient. You'd still need a big (50w+) panel plus a battery and charge controller to go with it if you wanted 24 hour running.

You're never likely to make a saving during the useful life of the panel, especially when you consider that the batteries would need replacing 4 or 5 times during that period. Still, if you're doing it out of interest or necessity then fair play.

He has a UV for the the filter, so he has to have an inverter. the inverter being the cheapest thing, its the solar panels that are expensive. They dont make a 12v. UV.

For the small water feature that doesnt matter if it runs or not then yes if any one really must have one then fine, but a filter should run 24 / 7 365 (the uv should run 247 / 181 (half a year) then what happens in winter?

Solar water pumps / filters are not for the UK, there is just not enough sunshine to make it feasable.

He has a UV for the the filter, so he has to have an inverter. the inverter being the cheapest thing, its the solar panels that are expensive. They dont make a 12v. UV.

http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/product.asp?pID=421&cID=110&c=302813

Granted it's 12v AC, but that was just the first that popped up after a search. Fact is that practically any UV filter could be converted to run on 12v with the appropriate ballast.

I don't question or disagree with your statement that it's unfeasible, but it's certainly not impossible.

i stand corrected, i take my hat off to you, (no really i do, never heard of one before) but that is an American website

I was in a bit if a rush, but that would explain a lot, being in Australia they have loads of sunshine so the requirement for a 12v UV has been (damn, cant think of the right word :oops: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back