solar tubes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone used solar tubes - the natural daylight tubes that come from a dome on the roof to lighten up dark rooms? If so which one do you recommend - are there any makes that you would avoid? It only has to come down less than a metre. I want to know if you've had trouble with them, what they're like 10 years down the line - do they get condensation, covered in algae? Any advice would be great, I can't decide what make to go for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I installed two of the Tubzz variety about 3 years ago, and have been pleased with them.
They don't give a daylight effect, more a late evening kind of light, but it is much better than no natural light at all. The Tubzz design uses a flexible tube, which makes installation very easy, but probably doesn't reflect as much light into the room as a solid system.

From what I can see of the domes they are still pretty clean.

Sponsored Links
We have installed a few Velux sun tunnels and they are ok. You do need a certain minimum gap betwixt the rafters though.

is this for a flat or pitched roof?
if it's pitched then the idea of installing a /couple of velux windows and creating a tunnel with timber and plasterboard seems like a better idea..
if you fit the motors to then you can have ventilation as well.. plus they have blinds available..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back