Solder joints under a gas fire(place)

JPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys...

I work with a corgi guy sometimes. he rang me up this morning telling me he has heard you cant use solder joints under a fire (place). (he has had his corgi about 1 year)

He told me cos i'm doing my corgi at the moment.

He was also unsure about the accuracy of what hes been told.

He has fitted around 3 fires of late that have required him to do solder joints on the 8mm gas pipe to plumb" it in.....

he's now thinking if he has to go back and fit compression

Can we use solder joint under a fireplace ?? (explanation was heat would affect solder joint soundness)????

Sponsored Links
I thinks he may be wrong (although I may be corrected), first time I have heard of not being able to use an 'appropriate fitting' to make a gas pipe...
only place you cant use certain joints would be a compression where it is not accessable, i.e under a floor

What do you mean under the fireplace , do you mean under the hearth or within the actual firebox of the fire.

i havent seen him. this was a telephone conversation.
i think he was saying the firebox...ie near to where you connect up to the gas valve

Sponsored Links
This is something we asked quite a few years ago when inset fires where getting more popular , There was nothing in the book saying you couldn`t and we where told if you have to do it.
And last time i checked there was still nothing .
If you think about it the isolating taps on the fires have rubber washers the heat would affect them more than soldered joints.
Give the corgi guy a call in the morning to put your mind at ease

If i get a chance in next couple of hours i will have a look for you or phone up my corgi mate.
But driving up to jock land tonight (just got a ticket) to watch us get beat by Argentina tomorrow night and she who will moan like hell when i tell her is not in from work yet. So best keep things she can throw at me out of arms reach . :LOL: :LOL:

never had a problem fitting yorky under a fire bed, heat will not penetrate through the fire base, as posted there are rubber seals, also ptfe tape etc which would damage quicker than solder, and i cannot remember reading anything suggesting it wasn't safe, and there hasn't been any amendment recently either in HTR1 ACS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back