Simpler than wiring a plug!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Here is my problem. I have a Potterton/Baxi combi boiler that has recently given up the ghost. Basically it clicks a lot rather instead of firing up (1 time in 10 it may fire so I am not longer using it). Last week while search high and low for a recommended corgi guy I bumped into a friend who knows a corgi man and had good things to say about him. Great! The guy came out and said all I need is an ignition pcb - about 75-100 quid and he wouldn't charge me silly rates for the labour.

Problem is, he's now got some personal problems and is not in the country for a few weeks. I've had a look at the pcb and basically is looks like there is a dry joint which is arching - I did some research on the net and it seems corgi do not advise soldering pcb's. So here are my questions.

1) Do you need to be corgi registered to soldering joints on a boiler pcb (giving the fact its not going near the gas)

2) I am competent in soldering and electronics but given what I've read about Corgi advising replacing and not soldering pcb's. Do I need to be Corgi registered to replace the ignition pcb? In my opinion this is easier than wiring a standard plug.

3) Should I just leave everything alone and call another Corgi guy which is potentially going to cost me a few hundred quid.

Your thoughts gratefully received

Simon

Sponsored Links
We couldn't possibly answer without the mods removing it, but you wouldn't be the first. ;)

Sponsored Links
The forum Moderators, that have to put up with us lot every day. :cool:

Not in my opinion, provided you don't alter anything.

I am competent in soldering and electronics

If this is the case, it's your own boiler and you apply safe isolation procedures, I suspect you have already answered your own question.

Boilers aside, dry joints are a fact of life on any PCB and it seems reasonable to try a repair if the problem is that obvious.

Although you are not touching the gas, the pcb does operate a gas appliance and if it does so incorrectly may become dangerous.

Lots of posts on the net about bad and dry joints on Potterton pcbs. My none combi Pottertons gas valve started judering (open, close 2 or 3 times a second) some years back. Had same thoughts as you about not touching it so called a National Company for a £47 + VAT per 30mins corgi man. Got a 60 year old sniffing, twitching 'aw wright govner' man (no offence to all you good corgi guys here) who spent most of the 30 minutes going backwards and forwards to his van before telling me that his vast experience told him I needed a new pump......... 28.5 minutes in, told him no thanks and bye.
Visually tracking the gas solonoid line back to the switching tranny on the pcb, bingo, dry joint... fixed...and a couple of other suspects, and still have the same pump.
If 'some one' were to remove a boiler pcb, my only advice would be to make sure they label every connection, male and female.

congrats you have repaired your pcb.
some pcb makers now enclose their pcb.s in a sealed unit to prevent tampering/repairs.
do you have a baxi barcelona or potterton promax if so your skills will save you a few pounds.
good luck.

Hi All,

Just to update you. Re-soldered the dry joint and its all good! Thanks for your input.

Great forum full of great advice.

Cheers

Hi All,

Just to update you. Re-soldered the dry joint and its all good! Thanks for your input.

Great forum full of great advice.

Cheers

Well done! Don't forget the old maxim - 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obeyance of fools'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back