soldered lpg joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone clear up a question please. I have just done my LPG conversion and we discussed soldering copper fittings. it does clearly say that soft solder cannot be used, but when we discussed the 37mbar low pressure side at the dwelling i am sure they said that lead free would be ok. It was something to do with using an exisiting natural domestic gas service but for LPG (not that scenario would really ever occure) i am sure that this is wrong but wanted someone else opinion with greater experience in this field.

Sponsored Links
Are you confusing locations?

I am not LPG reg, but always thought soldered fittings were acceptable in a brick home.

But in a boat or caravan ( subject to vibration ) they had to be brazed.

Better asked in the CC !

It's covered in UKLPG COP22. Soft soldered only permissible in structures that are not designed to be moved e.g. PD and RPH. Brazed or compression in LAV and Boats.

That's great. As a matter of interest are you expected to have copies of all these publications. When I did the change over exam there must have been about 10 different publications on the table. It nearly did my head in at the end. Regards.

Sponsored Links
you dont need all the publications. an on site guide like the Corgi or Viper book is adequate.

Thanks. Will get that when they have it in print. To be honest I was really surprised at how much different the two gases are in practice. Best keep the books handy.

Glad I got that right!

Its hard enough with what you are registered for without delving into other aspects.

I'm subscribed to the standards on the Gas Safe website. Gives me access to all of the BS, IGEM, and UKLPG standards that we need working with gas. Annual cost is less than the cost of buying 2 British Standards and they are kept up to date.

Some might argue that access should be included in the registration fee.

I wonder if they make a profit from that service?

The OP is quite surprising as it appears that 5544 has done this conversion
course without any practical working knowledge of LPG.

Is any practical work carried out on this course or is it all bookwork and tick answers.

Is this the case ?

No - and I am ashamed to say I am in the same boat. I did the conversion course. And apart from the practical assessment (which I can not even remember now) it was all books.

its irrelevant what the course involves, as if you don't have much involvement with it thereafter you will forget it all anyway. About 25-30% of my workload is lpg or for lpg customers and I still have to look things up occassionally. Especially ventilation for LAVs etc..

its irrelevant what the course involves, as if you don't have much involvement with it thereafter you will forget it all anyway. About 25-30% of my workload is lpg or for lpg customers and I still have to look things up occassionally. Especially ventilation for LAVs etc..
mickyg
Your reply implies experience and competence in that nobody can remember everything especially on something that you don't work on all the time such as LAVs but I doubt very much that you have forgotten the basics.
The OP implies you can gain this accreditation yet still not know the basics, so in effect they are going to practice on the unsuspecting public whilst reading from a book. :(

The requirements of the conversion course is to have the relevant natural gas tickets and experience. They stated that if they waited for candidates to get the experience on lpg, then no one would qualify. Yes there is an issue with exposure to this type of gas, but I would not take a dump if I did not know how to flush the chain! I think its called knowing your limits! As for me, much of the lpg basics made sense which is half the battle, the problem is, even the instructors had to check the books since there are so many different scenarios. Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back