soldering short cable

Thanks BAS - knew I was going wrong somewhere.

Had substituted CSA for circumference in C=Pi X D and arrived at the wrong radius.

Therefore, even better contact area. :D

Sponsored Links
BAS,

I make that 26mm squared for a single conductor?

Pi x r² = 2.5

r² = 2.5/Pi = 0.796

r = 0.892mm

d = 1.784mm

c = 1.784 x Pi = 5.6mm

5.6mm x 10mm = 56mm²

So 2 x 2cm bared & bent over, including the ends of the conductors is a total surface area of 229mm²...

(Actually a bit more because of the deformation of the cylindrical conductors where they bend, but I think we can ignore that)

yeah (maybe - I`m not good at maths) but you advocated bending them into hooks and pulling tight - so only the very apex of the bends would be touching would they not

if you got to bend em double ( a practice I would never recommend ) then double them up - increases surface area and lay them along side each other ie NOT hooked together

then you do have a big surface area

im planning on double hooking and making as tight as possible then getting a nice bit of solder onto the joints. regarding strength, Ive connected two pieces of 2.5mm with out solder just by hooking and I still cant pull them apart with applying loadza force. So I think shud be allright.

thanks for the comments, I need to pick up some heat shrink this weekend hopefully so will post pics of the new sockets and the joint.

cheers

Sponsored Links
THRIPSTER said:
Or do you believe that that the only electrical conduction takes place through the copper where the conductors touch and that there is none through the solder? :D
It might be amusing to you, but I'm disappointed that nobody seems to have understood.

I don't give a stuff what the calculation is - let's just say that I accept whatever you reckon to the exposed surface area of one conductor. I prefer to call it 'x'.

So, no matter how large 'x' might be, you appear to believe that, simply by having two conductors, you can make the contact area become 2x.

Can you extend that principle to conductors of unequal size? If one is, say, 10mm², and the other is 100mm² - would the total contact patch be 110mm² ?

If not then why not? And if not, then why do you think that the total contact patch for two areas each of 28mm² becomes 56mm² ?

lol, i understand what your saying however as im not qualified in this field and just came to find out what the best method to solder i cant really comment on the discussion taking place here however i would like peoples opinions on how i can lengthen a short wire using the smallest amount of space possible.

So guys feel free to get back to me

You could spend a lot of time working out the optimum contact patch, and which type of conductor best suits soldering, then you could heat up the iron and spend time cleaning it and getting the solder ready, then just a few minutes to grow that third arm so that you can hold the joint, the iron and the solder all at the same time, then get flux fumes in your eye and burn a mark on that delicate patch of skin on your inner wrist, then the carpet, and melt some of the cable insulation, swear a lot, scare the cat, p*ss off your wife, then stand back and, eyes watering and wrist throbbing, congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Or you could crimp it.

Call me a spoilsport, but I know what I'd do.

Right that`s settled then.

Solder it!

PS the 56 sq mm contact area is correct

By the sound of it not enough slack, and not enough space, to get the jaws of a ratchet crimper in there.

thanks for the info plugwash, im going to be going to maplin for some heatshrink tubing so i think i might just do it ur way

thanks for the info plugwash, im going to be going to maplin for some heatshrink tubing so i think i might just do it ur way

can you wrap it to make a T shape ?

thats how we were taught to do it in college

can you wrap it to make a T shape ?

thats how we were taught to do it in college
You triggered a long lost memory there Saxondale - took me right back to Day Release for a minute.

I know - shocking how quickly the years have passed ( and how few times I`ve ever needed that particular lesson) LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back