Soldering Yorkshire fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips for soldering Yorkshire fittings one side at a time. I.e with out both sides of the solder flowing at once?

Just did a practice and the the solder in both sides has melted....I applied the heat mainly to the pipe and had the torch on fairly low.. Heres what happened

Note the solder has started to flow out the top part of the elbow

Ive not used end feeds with solder as the joints are hidden, im not a plumber by trade and id be left with a roll of solder that i dont need.

Sponsored Links
Why are you trying to do it one side at a time?

I thought it might be easier to do a litte bit at a time as the pipes need to go in a fairly confined cupboard behind existing pipe work
Also because this bloke guide did

I guess i guess i got in my head id be best off doing one side at a time after watching that

You reckon its better to cut all the pipe runs, assemble as much of the pipes that will fit in the cupboard in one assembly and solder it up leaving any akward bits to be done afterwards once most of it is in place?

Sponsored Links
You reckon its better to cut all the pipe runs, assemble as much of the pipes that will fit in the cupboard in one assembly and solder it up leaving any akward bits to be done afterwards once most of it is in place?

You don't have to do it all in one go, but fittings close together would be better done at the same time. I wouldn't consider trying to solder one side of a fitting at a time though.

I tried that one time too, didn't go brilliantly either:LOL:if you really want to try, you could try wet rags or something on that end of the fitting, but assembling it all as much as possible on the bench and then moving it later is better.

Do the whole fitting mate and if several, close together, then all of them at the same time... if you do it like you’re trying to, then you also run the risk of emptying the first part of the fitting, of solder, when you later come to do the second!

Rothenberge do a gel. It’s in a spray bottle and it prevents heat from traveling up pipework. I’m guessing the gel absorbs the heat. It does actually come in handy sometimes but for the life of me I can’t figure out why you would want to accomplish what you say.

Rothenberg do a gel in a spray bottle that stops heat traveling up the pipe. I guess it absorbs the heat. Comes in handy sometimes too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back