Solderless copper pipe joining...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was in B & Q this afternoon buying some bits and saw JUST FOR COPPER-apparantly you can bond copper pipe/fittings together in under a minute without flux and solder and of course heat! has anyone tried it.... is it good? maybe it's a neater finish and if it is as good as it looks surely it would be amazing.....

It was about £12-99 for a small bottle (up to 40 welds) and £29.99 for a bigger bottle with up to 200 welds....

Anyone heard anything about this and used it before??

Sponsored Links
I have seen it used, I found it quite brittle and couldn't take any sideways pressure.

Other than that I have no real experience, I'd rather just solder and then sleep easy.

James

Brittle... Hmm - I might try some and test it on my pressure tester to 10bar!!!! jst out of curiosity!

Sounds very time consuming waiting for the adhesive to set before you can move on to the next joint... An ingenious idea, but when soldering is so simple and cheap to do and speed fit is almost fool proof...

I predict a shower in the living room... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i agree soldering is the best way to go

push fit is a no no-not very good at all and i wouldn't trust them under the floorboards ..

but these solderless joins take just a few seconds to set btw..

When this was first introduced into the country we obtained a sample from the company. The sales blurb seemed too good to be true.

It did all that was said on the tin but flexing the pipe, as would happen when a pipe heated up and cooled down, did cause it to fail on several joints.

Remember the warnings on the can - NOT suitable for gas and there is NO GUARANTEE of earth bonding so it must be considered the same as using plastic pushfit connections. All the joints we made during our tests FAILED to give any earth continuity.

This product could in effect create a potentially risk to life through electric shock. Consider the scenario electric fault causing section of pipe to become live. This pipe is joined via a coupling to another length fully earthed. One side of coupling at 240 volts other side earth touching either side of the innocent looking coupling - frightening!!

It would be interesting to learn of insurance companies official line when it comes to the claims situation if one of these joints failed and caused damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back