Soldier Pile / Berlin Wall Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - looking for some advice on what trade really.

We need to build a retaining wall - its job will be to replace an existing delapedated structure that holds up between 50cm and 75cm's difference between us and the neighbours.

My thoughts are that the best way to achieve this - access is limited at some points because of a drain and it being down the side of our house - would be a soldier pile wall.

I am struggling to find a company to build one of these - I have so far tried groundworkers and the heavier side of landscape gardners but having little success. Am I looking at the wrong place or eveb the wrong type of structure.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Personally for shared boundary walls it has to be masonry every time. They will last a lifetime if done properly.

Your best off telling people you need quotes for a retaining wall and let them suggest the options. Kingpost type walls are not very common and as such you will find it harder to find a contractor if you insist on this method.

I think you may be right, think I will give that approach a go.

Cost is a concern whilst its only about 50cm high the wall needs to be about 25 meters long - the Kingpost solution seemed to provide a possibly cheaper option. There is also no access from the neighbours side, which is the lower side as in their wisdom they erected a new fence last year just in front of where the retaining wall needs to be replaced!

I am starting to think sandbags filled with a cement mix might be best.

Its borderline impossible to do a job like this from the higher side alone.

Sand bags filled with concrete isn't much of a wall.

If your going to diy it you could use a dry stack mortarless retaining wall. Very simple and very easy to diy. Google 'Tobermore secura' other mftrs have similar systems.

Sponsored Links
Its borderline impossible to do a job like this from the higher side alone.

Sand bags filled with concrete isn't much of a wall.

If your going to diy it you could use a dry stack mortarless retaining wall. Very simple and very easy to diy. Google 'Tobermore secura' other mftrs have similar systems.

Sorry I was being a bit tounge in cheek. I don't have the energy to DIY it - I have reached out to my normal builder.

I realise it is practically impossible. We are about to embark on a big build which has been delayed so this is now preliminary work we can get started on. Everytime we speak to the neighbours about the build all they go on about is the fence and their garden and how much time, money and effort the have spent on it so they wont let us touch it. Hence the soldier piles which could be dug out, drilled and sunk from our side - the one advantage of the fence being that noone sees the face. The other challenge is that the distance from this wall to the house is about a meter and there is also a drain run...in the front garden I think there may be room for gabions which is one option but definately not down the side!

Could you not use concrete gravel boards?

My garden is 15cm on average higher than my neighbour and my fence has concrete posts with 12" /30cm gravel boards fitted . They are steel reinforced.

I have seen 6 foot walls built with them

I wouldn't even do the 60cm's I have with Gravelboards.

The 6Foot walls either don't support anything or are not gravel boards but more like the soldier piles I was originally talking about.

I have found a "Heavy Duty" Landscape gardner who is willing to come and look at the job and my builder is also going to come and look at it. I can then work out from there the best approach to this.

Have decide he Gabions probably won't work out any cheaper once we have paid removed all of the existing materials.

It may end up cheaper for you to remove their fence and replace it than try and do the job without. In fact you may well find it impossible to find someone willing to take on such a pain in the ass. Can the neighbour not be reassured all will be put back as is or better and made to realise you are doing them a favour by paying for what I a shared boundary?

You could enforce a party wall agreement if they were very difficult but it can get costly.

It may end up cheaper for you to remove their fence and replace it than try and do the job without. In fact you may well find it impossible to find someone willing to take on such a pain in the ass. Can the neighbour not be reassured all will be put back as is or better and made to realise you are doing them a favour by paying for what I a shared boundary?

You could enforce a party wall agreement if they were very difficult but it can get costly.

I will see what the companies who come and look say. We may be able to remove half of it which whilst in good condition isn't new. There would be no chance of removing the new bit at the front without invoking the party wall act. Don't really want to have to do that not only for cost purposes but also for relations!

Thanks for all the help...I have three people sorted to come and look at the job now.

Well first company has been round - he can do both and will quote for both so we can decide. He even suggested a combination of the two may be more appropriate so that we can work around difficult areas without impacting the fence. He said it would be easier without the fence there but said it wasn't an impossible task.

An Update on this - we have had 3 people round now.

One Landsacper, one general builder and one groundworker.

The landscaper can do both a 9inch block retainer and a soldier pile and will quote for both, possibly using a combination where there is a bit of a pinch point.
The general builder will quote for a 9 inch block wall.
The Groundworkers will quote 9 inch block as well.

None of them are concerned about the lack of access to the other side only that should we be able to get access it would make things easier.

Just need to await the quotes now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back