Sole Trader Rates Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Of course depending on what area you live the trade rates will be different . What do you guys charge an hour or do most of you guys prefer to work on a day rate?

I like to give a Estimate for the whole job to be carried out from start to finish, but recently for some reason a few customers have been asking what’s my hourly rate or what I charge per day? I don’t like giving an hourly rate or a day rate is anyone else up against this?

Thanks, Tam

Sponsored Links
What trade are you?

How big are your jobs? eg 1-2 hours / 1-2 days 1-2 weeks or longer.

Don't forget every job is different and there is no such job as a '5 minute job'

Andy

Roof Tiler/Slater Andy. I have mostly worked on sites for the last 17 years But the company I was working for at the time went bust so I had no choice but to go it alone mate.

Tam.

Trouble is, telling your hourly rate gets you nowhere because the rate is irrelevant given that some people work fast and some slow. The punter doesn't think about this and will only compare your hourly rate with someone else's thinking a cheaper hourly rate is a better deal - it won,t be if it's a slow worker....

Sponsored Links
Unless your potential punters are supplying the materials, an hourly/day rate is meaningless. It also means less 'profit' if you see what I mean.

Only you know what you need to live off, but, if you write out a list of everything that a punter will need to supply, and you supplied nothing at all except yourself, that may frighten them into letting you 'do the whole thing'

DH[/u]

I always used to avoid that sort of customer when I was self-employed.

Put in a fixed price for the job, and walk away if he quibbles or wants to pay cash.

fixed price every time. i too am a roofer. if asked i tell the customer you are paying for my knowledge and expertise, not my time.
tell them as long as the job is done properly shouldnt matter if it takes 1/2 hour or a week. they know what the job costs right from the start.
i would and never will work an hourly rate. if you run into problems and it takes a little longer then you suck it up , if it goes well and you finish early then both you win and also the customer gets their place in order sooner than expected. but if you presented the customer with all the extra hours chances are they would kick off, call you a con man and refuse to pay anything.
damn i love being self employed and a bloody hate it too.. lol.

if he quibbles

Always a problem

or wants to pay cash.

Never a problem! :D

Different charging methods suit different trades and different situations.

For plumbing, I charge an hourly rate for small jobs, because often a quick job can often turn into a long job when you get into it.

For larger jobs, where there's more money involved and more margin, eg. boiler change, it has to be charged for the whole job. Otherwise you wouldn't get these types of jobs.

Sponsored Links
Back