Hourly rate for Sparks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the average hourly rate for a qualified ( P ) sparks?
Having had several "estimates" for work I can only assume the going rate is about £60 an hour ??? This seems a bit excessive !! and would put these guys on £124,000 a year............... I am in the wrong trade???

Sponsored Links
That also assumes that the person is working and being paid for 40 hours per week, every single week of the year.
In reality, that is impossible.

That also assumes that the person is working and being paid for 40 hours per week, every single week of the year.
In reality, that is impossible.

But why should I have to pay for his "down time"? No-one pays me for mine!

Sponsored Links
This seems a bit excessive !! and would put these guys on £124,000 a year............... I am in the wrong trade???

thats why your not in a trade if thats how you think it works. :rolleyes:

But why should I have to pay for his "down time"? No-one pays me for mine!

If the electrician is employed by a company, they will be paid a fixed rate per hour. The rate the customer is charged per hour will be significantly more, as this has to include all of the other costs of running a business.
Some examples - vehicles, fuel, insurance, tools, clothing, taxes, membership of schemes etc.

If the electrician is self employed, the only difference is that they have to pay for all those things themselves. In either case, what is charged per hour is nothing like what the electrician actually gets.

Do you get paid holidays from your employer?

Yes I do ............ But have been self employed in the past

How come every sparks I talk to is " very busy " and may not be able to fit me in???

Maybe they don't want to work for you?

I see someone does pay for your downtime then ;)

How come every sparks I talk to is " very busy " and may not be able to fit me in???
either:
1. They really are that busy (possibly because they have to be to earn a reasonable amount of money).
2. They are just saying that to avoid the impression they are desperate for work.
3. They don't want to do the particular job you have for them (in that case they obviously should just say so, but some might not).

On the original topic, where has the £60 per hour actually come from? Have you had estimates where a days labour for one person is nearly £500?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back