Solid Concrete Ceiling in Garage - PVA advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our (low) garage ceiling is unsightly, and I think is the cause of a lot of the dust and dirt running through our home.

I run my fingers over it and tiny particles come down each time. I have been advised to paint it with a PVA water mix. I am a total newbie so don't know where to begin!!

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/building-supplies/pva-and-sbr-bonding/506-contractors-pva/

vs

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/building-supplies/pva-and-sbr-bonding/501-pva-bond/

Can someone please recommend what 'type' of PVA to use? I note that some are paintable, some are waterproof etc.

Without skimming that ceiling it's always going to look 'nasty' right? But I think I'd be happy with just stopping the dust, and maybe then I might paint it white....

1) What PVA type?
2) We have some damp issues on the right hand wall. Would using a 'waterproof' PVA be a bad idea - sealing in any moisture that might also be in that ceiling?
3) What method? Brush and bucket vs roller etc? How quick will I need to work? I expect it is a very messy job!! Coats?
4) When all done and dry - what white paint to use to give a nice finish.

Many thanks all!

Attachments

• Garage Ceiling.jpeg
    Garage Ceiling.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
NEVER put PVA glue on any surface you hope one day to paint.

A few plasterers used to recommend it, but most have now been killed by angry decorators.

if it is a concrete ceiling, I think I would:

brush or hose it clean and allow to dry

apply two coats of masonry paint thinned with water (concrete is a very hungry surface, so more water added than usual). You will probably need to use a brush to work it into the surface.

(look up "mist coats paint")

When the surface stops sucking the moisture out of your brush, you have misted enough

then two coats white masonry paint. A long pile roller will be suitable.

It is more durable than ordinary emulsion, and can be wet-washed (it stands up to rainstorms outdoors)

use the plain matt one, not a textured paint.

Sponsored Links
(you can do the garage walls with the same)

The floor, if concrete, you can get sealers for. They are a bit expensive. I think the Epoxy ones are probably best but have not used them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back