Solid conservatory roof - building regs needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been getting quotes to replace my converseratory's polycarbonate roof with a solid one.

Is a Buidling Regs certificate required for this? (especially if I come to move house).

Some of the companies say yes and some say no o_O

Also, some of the companies want to replace the current "rafters" with stronger aluminium ones and others will just attach a wooden batten to the existing ones (the insulation and plastering is the same for both).

Is using the current rafters ok?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Conservatories by their very nature are not part of the thermal or structural element of your house therefore do not require building regs sign off.
The companies insulating the roof are better placed to advise on the supporting bars etc.
The extra weight will be bearing down on the glazing units through the ring beam which should be kept in mind.
Assuming you have an external grade door separating the house from conservatory.

Is the original house external door still in place - and is there any fixed heating in the conservatory? If so it is technically an extension and structural alterations (and changes to a thermal element) would require building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back