Solid Floor Underlay Options - Builders Papers with bitument?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking from some free advice (isn't everyone).

Just about to put down a solid wood floor over existing floor boards and decided that I would use a builders papers to act as a barrier followed by secret nailing.

(I had thought about putting down a 2m foam underlay, then secret nailing but from reading various forums it states this isn't any use for heat loss and will only add movement - please correct me if this is wrong and I can use 2m foam followed by secret nailing).

Question I have, the only builders paper I can find at short notice is this one from wicks below (yes - very expensive but at short notice all I can get). It states this is bitument lined (now 100% sure what this is) and worried that it won't be breathable i.e. it acts as a plastic sheet?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/NDC-Bitumen-Backed-Building-Paper-10m-x-1m/p/141075#tab-details_content

Would I be ok with this?

Cheers

Pedro.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/

Sponsored Links
Dont use the bitumen lined paper. use the cheapest rolls of building paper or roofing felt that you can buy.

check with the wood flooring Mfr's for the installation instructions ref any foam underlay.

Thanks for reply. I'll have a look at roofing felt. I take it tho the bitumen stuff would do the job tho...albeit it's pricey?

Sponsored Links
barrier followed by secret nailing.

Barrier for what?

Is this a suspended timber floor with no insulation?

If you want a barrier for airtightness purposes, then as ree said, roofing membranes will be breathable but somewhat airtight (you can get specific airtight breathable membranes, waste of money for this situation).

If you have no insulation then you don't want to completely remove droughts or you may have condensation/mould issues around skirtings n such.

Thanks. No insulation.... Have got a breathable membrane sorted.

Makes sense to allow air to floor a little.

God bless the internet for having various bits of advice.... :)

Cheers gents.

If it is not to late, then seriously consider insulating, the payback is typically less than 10 years and the added comfort will be worthwile..

Yes, I know this post is nearly 3 years old...

...Pedro, what did you use under your floor... did you go builders paper or roofing felt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back