Solid floor without concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I propose laying a new floor in a 1890 terraced house built on clay. Due to the limited foundation depth, I would like to keep the new floor thickness to 350mm. Is there any problem with the following make-up. 150mm well compacted level scalpings, blinding sand and 1200DPM, 100mm insulation, 100mm screed?

Sponsored Links
Should be fine enough, I've worked on numerous old buildings where the floor has no concrete and is compacted lime/ash or clay or even just tiles laid straight onto the ground and these floors have lasted for many many years.
Now wheather it infringes any type of regulations, I'm not too sure about :confused:

Sorry to dredge this old topic up but I thought it'd be better than starting a new topic for a similar question.

Has anyone here put down a solid floor without any concrete or even screed? Just sand, DPM, insulation and a floating chipboard floor, or would that be too unstable for a domestic load? (it's in the living room)

I have read that the screed is likely to crack if you don't have concrete beneath it, but access to the house is limited so we probably couldn't fit a tanker in, and I don't have a cement mixer (plus I'm not sure if mixing my own would be practical over such an area), so while I want to do everything properly, I'm wondering if there is an alternative to concrete?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to dredge this old topic up but I thought it'd be better than starting a new topic for a similar question.

Has anyone here put down a solid floor without any concrete or even screed? Just sand, DPM, insulation and a floating chipboard floor, or would that be too unstable for a domestic load? (it's in the living room)

I have read that the screed is likely to crack if you don't have concrete beneath it, but access to the house is limited so we probably couldn't fit a tanker in, and I don't have a cement mixer (plus I'm not sure if mixing my own would be practical over such an area), so while I want to do everything properly, I'm wondering if there is an alternative to concrete?

Hi, I want to do this too and was wondering if you had any advice on doing it. Sorry it's not a quote. Any info gratefully received, please don't hesitate to contact me. 07930 945 896 or [email protected] Thanks Gav

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back