Solid fuel stove central heating banging noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all bit new to this forum but here goes see if anyone can help, i have had fitted a new high output multifuel boiler stove burns mostly wood, connects to indirect cylinder in the attic and separate radiator circuit. System ran fine for week or two then after running a bath the other night the hot tap eventually runs out of water - this always happened with the old set up with the baxi boiler. So on firing up the stove today after being cold for a day it heated up quickly and then the banging noises started, bit frightening! After running the hot tap in the bath a lot of air came out and then the system has settled down ok, anyone got any ideas why this may have happened? And why my hot tap in the bath gives hot water for a while then seems to run out to a trickle causing some kind of airlock?? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Your cold tank aint keeping up with demand possibly,, check the ball valves are working correctly and filling as you use water !!

Thanks for the reply, the indirect cylinder is a comby one with the cold tank on top all in one unit, the ball valve in the cold top tank is working as it should filling as i use the hot tap.

Ahh you got a fortic tank ,, is it filling quick enough??

Its gonna be a tank problem somewhere !!

Can you see in the top?? if so run the hot and watch to see if it empties ..

How long do you run the water b4 this happens ?

Sponsored Links
new high output multifuel boiler stove burns mostly wood,

These can be cheap to run but you have no control on heat output.
Takes some doing getting rid of exess heat, especially if heating is off

When does the banging start, before you run hot water or after?

Yes thanks for the ideas, its a Fortic tank and i can see the top ok seems to fill fairy quick as i run hot water, the hot water outlet to the taps is a 22mm pipe but the cold feed to the top cold water tank on the fortic is a 15mm pipe although i seem to have a fair amount of mains pressure although but difficult to tell, i always had this problem with the old set up which was baxi back boiler and rads so this system is the same just more efficient with new 28mm pipes to the fortic for water heating and pumped central heating as before on 22mm pipework. When i run a bath the kids tend to let the hot tap run until it just runs out of water and trickles then they just turn it of, then later if i run a hot water tap in the kitchen sink of bathroom sink only a little hot water trickles out until i open the bath hot water tap fully and get lots of splattering of air and water until it runs properly then all is a ok again so looks like some sort of air lock?? Thanks for your time on this one!

Its not keeping up with demand then and you need to tell the kids not to run it till it runs dry coz thats causing the air lock....a ball valve change would probably make it a lot better ;)

Have you not got a loft??

Ye the combi fortic tank is in the loft/attic its just what was fitted years ago and was just replaced with same when this job was done as the last one was shot we could nt get the old 22mm connections off the old tank so just replaced it with same, i would probably have been better fitting a larger cold tank in the attic but cost and time has come into this equation, i will speak boldly to my large grown up children and make it plain not to run the tap till its dry, thanks for all your help gasman!

Your welcome,, I didnt realise it was new !!
,,,, yeah tell the BIG kids to be more considerate or youll get the big hairy plumber to sort em out :LOL:

stick a gate valve on the hot outlet from the cylinder and balance the inlet to the outlet

ie it comes in as fast as it goes out equilibrium

its not a primatic BTW is it :?:

Hi Kev not quite sure what your meaning but sounds good im pretty handy but im thinkin that the hot water is just coming out the fortic tanks hot section quiker than the cold water is being replaced at the bottom via the top cold section but i cant get my head round why it air locks as the top of the fortic tank hot section has a vent to the top of the cold section on top?! And no its just a fortic type tank

Hi, KEV ye iv got what you mean now fitting the gate valve so that i can adjust the flow rate of the hot water out of the tank, great idea might just sort that out, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back