Solid oak floor advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I have just removed the solid oak floor in the dining room from a concrete floor as i have knocked through into the kitchen and im replacing with another oak floor all the way through, i couldnt get an exact match so im doing a complete new floor.
I did not lay the floor so was quite suprised at how it had been installed, basically it was on single beads of glue, as i have not seen any instructions to install in this way, they all appear to suggest trowelling glue all over the floor in much the same way as tile adhesive.
Is this single bead not reccomended as im now a bit concerned that the living room floor will be the same and its not a great way of installing do i need to worry?
I have take a picture to show what i mean, the boards ran left to right as you look at the pic -

Sponsored Links
Anyone with any advice?

I also have another question regarding the laying of the new floor:

What is the correct way to lay the boards i.e horizontal or vertical to the room I have included a diagram of the room with measurement
Many thanks!

The direction you lay the floor is your own choice, generally it is laid towards the natural light source so that daylight runs down the length of the longest joints, but if you prefer to lay the other direction because it suits the room better, then just do that.

The adhesives in that picture don't look right to me, trowling the adhesive is the way I always understood that it should be done.

Many people lay wood using a liquid batton system and the effect when removed is very much as you see it there. Normal centres for the adhesive is 250-300mm. The adhesive would need to be the correct type to do this and not the standard tub stuff. That said I much prefer a full fix by spreading the adhesive.
There should be no problems with the other room but just be aware that batton systems can be slightly thicker that a full fix so check your levels when fixing the new flooring.
TT

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply guys, what glue would I have to use if wanted to do this batten system?
Cheers

The two most common would be Bona R850T which I use, or Sika T52FC which by the colour of the adhesive in your picture is probably what they used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back