Solid oak floor - can I part batten part float?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am trying to work out an acceptable compromise when laying the (lovely) 180 x 20mm solid oak floor in our house. The majority of the the floor is to be nailed on to 2" x 2" battens, fixed to concrete slab. However, there is a change in floor level half way across the kitchen/diner, such that the dining room portion of the slab is about 55mm higher than the rest of the house. We cant fit battens in the dining room, due to a need to maintain room height, and would prefer to get rid of this mini-step in any case.

Ideally, there would be some way of running the boards straight across the kitchen/diner, on battens for the first 3m in the kitchen, then glued? floating? for the last 2 in the diner. Is this in any way possible/sensible? In case it makes any odds, all the boards are between 2 and 3m in length.

I sense its probably a bad plan. Which leads me on to the next question. If we fit a threshold where the slab changes in height, what is the best way to fit the boards in the diner, given that there is 5mm beneath them to fill? Is it possible to float the boards without it feeling obviously boingy - the diner is 4m x 2m. Can I spread floor adhesive 5mm thick then stick them down?

Any advice very gratefully received![/img]

Sponsored Links
You should not use normal wood floor adhesive to make up for differences in height for floor levels but there is a product - Sika T2 that is designed to do that. You can download the details from their web site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back