can i float a solid osk floor over kingspan insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I am currently finishing my extension and the wife has picked a very expensive hand scraped solid oak floor (120mm boards), I deliberately left the concrete slab 100mm low to allow for insulation and then a floating floor but everywhere seems to suggest nailing the new floor.

Can i glue and float over the insulation or do i need to batten out the floor.

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can you give us a bit more information on the measurements of your Oak floor?
Thickness, length and - if you know - with random length floors how many (percentage) of your boards are short (short meaning 1/4 of the average length?)

In most cases you can install 120mm wide boards floating but can only say definite if you answer the above questions

many thanks WoodYouLike for your response the measurements are as follows

room size 6.5 m X 3.9 m split into 2 via a supporting nib each side (600mm x 200mm)

I will be using one of the following

wood size 130mm X 18mm X 0.3M - 1.5M lengths this is from next flooring online type NATURA HAND DISTRESSED GOLDEN OAK

wood size 120mm X 18mm x 0.3M - 1.5M lengths this is from my local timber merchant and I do not have a brand or type but it is hand scraped

If either of these are ok could you please recommend a good glue also would the floor look better laid longways or shortways

Regards
Howard

Sponsored Links
First impression I would say install longways continues, as long as there is no narrow entrance between the two areas. If there is, install a divider in the 'doorway' and treat every area as separate room.

As for installation method: do you know how many of the boards are the shortest? If there are more than 15 % 'short' lenghts (1/4 of the longest length = 375mm) your best bet is to glue it down with flexible adhesive like Basicoll PU-650SE.
If you have a standard mix of less than 15% short you could install the boards floating on combi-underlayment (with DPM in it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back