Solid Oak Floor Laying Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given, it will be greatly appreciated.

Right, ive got some of this flooring,

http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-rondo-natural-solid-oak-flooring-108m-pack/188878_BQ.prd

Its 18mm thick and 150mm wide Solid oak with 30 year guarantee so I would hope its of reasonable quality if fitted correctly.

It will be installed on a downstairs concreate floor which is presently carpeted and has those thin vinyl type tiles which are commonly put in when houses were new.. dont know what they are called.

Going to open the packs and leave a few days to climatise.

However i am unsure about the best way to install it, floating on the thin foam type underlay used for laminate, the thick green board type underlay, a self adhesive underlay, or a flexible adhesive.

Will be gluing the joints, its tongue and groove, and clamping together with the ratchet straps... but obviously i dont want it to distort after a while.

Will also be leaving an expansion gap all the way around and have removed the skirting boards which will be replaced afterwards.

Also is there any reason why people are saying the packs contain different length boards?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back