solid oak t+g onto concrete..........float or glue???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, as a new member, thanks to all contributors for the advice I have read so far. I would like to get some of your views on the above.
I have bought B and Q solid oak flooring. 18mm x123mm to lay on a soundish concrete base in a hallway, 5.5m x 3.5m. The planks are smaller than I would like, each pack of 1.2 sqm contains the following: 1 x 1200mm, 7 x 700mm, 7 x 500mm.
The existing flooring is engineered oak panels 2400mm x 200mm which is floating and although has been trouble-free, looks dated.
I would prefer the floating option, are the planks too short to do this, and would it help if I laid them widthways rather than lengthways?
I would prefer to avoid laying ply and secret nailing if at all possible, having done it before and taken ages.
I have not started the job, and reading previous posts, am unsure that this product can be laid with stability. Despite it's attractive finish, I would take it back for refund if necessary.
Finally, if floating and glueing t+g, would normal pva adhesive be ok or is there a better product anyone recommends?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi Aflemi

It seems you're one of the more lucky ones buying solid B&Q offers, the shortest length is 500mm. Too many of these kind of offers have many boards of 300 or 400mm in them.
So, you can install this floor floating, glueing the T&G properly.

Regards installing them width or length ways, the end result always look better when you install them parallel the longest wall. Reading your info about the existing floor (T&G connection I presume), as long as those boards are still level you don't have to add any other sheet material first before you lay your foam underlayment (DON'T use underlayment that contains a DPM).

Thanks WYL, that's reassuring. I thought I was ready to go then until I read about the Non-DPM part. I am taking up the existing t + g flooring and replacing it, on concrete base, so would I not need a DPM?
I have bought the following Combilay underlay which was recommended at B + Q:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1199443680085&isSearch=true

Also do you have a view on the adhesive for the new t+g, would any pva (ie Screwfix basic stuff) do or should I get something more expensive?
Many thanks again

That product looks fine to me.
As for wood-glue, any proper type will do. Make sure you use it properly

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, I'll leave it to acclimatise for 2-3 weeks then get on with it.
Just to check, the reason you said no dpm was because you thought I was laying the new flooring on top of the existing floating floor, rather than replacing it, yes?
Sorry to be pedantic, I am just very wary of B + Q advice and want to be double sure. TBH I generally avoid the place but my partner fell in love with the finish on this stuff and I have to admit it does look very good (in the showroom anyway). Cheers WYL.

If the wood was stored properly at B&Q and now safely in the room you
intend to install it in, 4 -5 days will be enough for it to acclimatise.

Yes, that was the only reason for suggesting not to use a dpm. Since you're
laying it onto a concrete base (my mistake, should have read better) a
combi-underlayment with dpm is recommended.

Many thanks WYL. I'll check out your website for my next flooring job.

This relates to the post below as I am now getting round to the job, having had the hall decorated etc this is the finishing touch. Situ is I had hall extended so now have new concrete (dry enough by now) and original concrete sub-floor. The old part, particularly at front foor has had a few bits crumble away from cracks etc, although nothing serious and the level is fine.
I am ready to lay solid oak flooring over combilay underlay over sub floor. Should I seal the old concrete with pva/water mix to stabilise it a bit before laying the flooring or is there another product to do this which will make it rock-solid and not take too long to dry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back