Solid oak window boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone told me to avoid solid oak window boards for all my window (we had new openings made and the depth of the sills on some of them are quite deep). I've been told to consider MDF window boards with oak veneers because solid oak does not always keep straight and flat and overtimes can warp. Also if we have to plaster the rooms etc, any small drips can ruin oak if not entirely covered properly.

Is there truth to this?

Sponsored Links
I used 18mm oak veneer mdf for a couple of 400mm deep window boards. And edged the front with solid oak.
Had the window sill been narrow I'd just have used solid oak.

Most windows round my way are pvc and most manufacturers will supply pvc sills to match their products.

I'm trying to go for a high end finish as most of the home will be high end after we are finished. Also need something around 25mm or 28mm in thickness.

Love how people have started saying "high end" instead of just "fashionable". Plenty of stately homes don't have hardwood window boards! 'High end' is more about dimensions and quality of finish than fashionable materials. Bare oak is already starting to look passé. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Love how people have started saying "high end" instead of just "fashionable". Plenty of stately homes don't have hardwood window boards! 'High end' is more about dimensions and quality of finish than fashionable materials. Bare oak is already starting to look passé. :LOL:

Thank you. What is wrong with the word high end if indeed I do have a spacious home and high-quality finishes? I didn't realise you had a view into my home.

Have been looking on ebay at waney oak boards as I have deep window recess and the mrs likes the rustic look, I suppose it depends how well they are fixed.

Oak is very stable, and will handle getting wet without too much trouble, but it's always better sealed. Veneered MDF won't have the same look and feel as oak, and can be ruined if the water gets past the veneer.

You could use a matt varnish, or a wax polish, and any good wood yard will be able to supply ready made 30mm oak window boards.

I've seen and installed both. I dislike the veneered MDF boards, even when they have been lipped in solid wood. This is partly because modern veneers are so thin that should you ever need to sand or scrape the surface (to change the stain colour, for example) you risk damaging the thin veneer surfaces (e.g. sanding through). They are also far more susceptible to damage by water from condensation on the glazing or spilled water from vases, etc than the solid wood boards. They do, however, cost less

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back