Solid roof on a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an old conservatory which is unusable for 11 months of the year due to being too hot or too cold.

The current roof is poly carbonate, and loose with gaps in it. The whole thing is just under 3 x 3 metres.

I would like a cost effective way to put an insulated roof onto it. There are a ton of companies out their offering various patented solutions that run into thousands, to the point where it would be cheaper to just build an extension.

So I am thinking of building something myself. Has anyone got any experience in this area?

Sponsored Links
If it's a simple lean to with a wooden frame single pitch covered with the polycarb.... I am doing mine - anything more complex with plastic frame ....not sure :unsure:

Sponsored Links
So I have an old conservatory which is unusable for 11 months of the year due to being too hot or too cold.

The current roof is poly carbonate, and loose with gaps in it. The whole thing is just under 3 x 3 metres.

I would like a cost effective way to put an insulated roof onto it. There are a ton of companies out their offering various patented solutions that run into thousands, to the point where it would be cheaper to just build an extension.

So I am thinking of building something myself. Has anyone got any experience in this area?

Not sure if you have sorted this out yet or not Rick, but there is a good reason solid tiled conservatory roofs cost what they do. They are lightweight but strong so they do not overload the window frames. There is also an awful lot of material in a good quality replacement conservatory roof. That is not to say that you could not build your own solution, maybe a warm roof and GRP with a lantern, something you could build yourself with a bit of knowledge. Do not get suckered into buying one of these insulation roofs that simply cloak the existing frame, you will end up regretting it and spending out more in the long run. Let me know if I can help you out in any way, drawing up plans or anything...

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back