Solid sound insulation. Floors and within walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know what is a good sound proofing material (cheap) but effective. Rock silk, rock wool? Board, Rubber matts , plastic bags ????

Sponsored Links
You need to describe more fully what you are trying to achieve, in order for people to advise you.

The main things to look for in sound insulation are: seal any gaps allowing airborne transmission of sound; isolate from the source of the noise surfaces which are transmitting sound by vibration.

Thanks for your reply, I would like to sound proof as victorian conversion, embarrasing lack of privacy ( cough) sneese all heard and being amplifed by a conversion of the flat below three or four times it is cronic and quite distressing like living in a chuch and voice (all sound carries)

I would like to start to flaten the ambient noise , so there is a normal transmission of noise. But not to spend loads and loads.

2. I would like to sound proof under the floor boards between properties

3. I would like to insulate between the wallls? but what with.

As I said b4 Rock silk? Rock wool? rubber matts, hard board ???? foam??????

Nicos

Sponsored Links
For effective sound insulation, you need to use dense material. Have a look at the products here.

Do bear in mind that if there are any gaps between properties, these must be sealed properly. There's no point in insulating if this needs to be, but isn't, done.

If it's a recent conversion, can the people who did the work be called back to sort out the problem? There should be reasonable privacy between separate dwellings.

Hi , Thanks for your reply.

I wish it was that easy, the people who did the conversion of thier flat, appear to be almost completely blinded by self interest as the law allows, it is a council property and they have allowed the conversion (by home owners) it seems without inspecting the work properly or consulting with me its sad coz I have lived there some time ( now runied) In the mean time as the isues are being dealt with. I wish to explore what I can do, as unbeknown to certain people, council tenants have a life, have feelings, have opinion, are affected by excesisve noise as would it affect a home owner. I strongly suggest that when people buy X council they please consult and take into account the people connected to that potential mass of impact noise.

I would be greatful for urgent advise about what to do regarding the actual flatening of impact and airbourne noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back